Weather Where You Are

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok some of you guys laughed when I said we are getting a heat wave in mid 80s. Tomorrow is going to be 91! Now that’s a heat wave! And it’s no laughing matter when you have no AC, haha

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just 50 minutes or so north of you, it's HOT. A bit windy too. This will be for a week? someone said they were 133 degrees in one post...well, it might be that in the direct sun...where'd I put my tickets to Antarctica??? but ya know, there were a couple er 3 times during the cenozoic it was much hotter. It got to what they call a thermal maximum during the eocene. ocean water couldn't flow all the way around antarctica. it got stopped by a mountain chain between antarctica and south america, plus the super el nino pacific currents flowed fast into the atlantic and north to greenland...guess what happened next...salt water floating ferns then covered the surface of the arctic ocean. not kidding. ok, at first they took up a lot of co2, so cooled things down in cycles...but floating plants sink to the bottom when they die...and down there anarobic bacteria fed on them. That released the bacteria's byproduct, methane. methane is many times a stronger greenhouse gas than co2. and it stinks i might add. suddenly it got hot. there was a "turnover" of species, not quite a major extinction event. very hot. eventually openings in that mountain chain happened and that huge central american opening got smaller, so things settled down. it did this twice.

There was another more localized heat event when the strait of gibraltor closed. Let's just hope the combined effects of humanity's planetary takeover don't cause something like these things. Meantime, price of land on greenland is still low

Ugh, getting a heatwave starting tomorrow and will last about a week. Mid 80s. Yes that's a heatwave for us since we're normally 67 this time of year.

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok some of you guys laughed when I said we are getting a heat wave in mid 80s. Tomorrow is going to be 91! Now that’s a heat wave! And it’s no laughing matter when you have no AC, haha

Mary
even hotter tomorrow??? add 18 degrees to your temps to get hotville santa rosa temps...idea!!! does your car have ac? im getting up 3 am tomorrow to water the garden at first light 5:15 or so, right after a qiock bean picking. go inside, got some paperwork to get done, shelling and sorting, then turn on the mini ac, if it is still too hot i'll take a drive to bodega head

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
even hotter tomorrow??? add 18 degrees to your temps to get hotville santa rosa temps...idea!!! does your car have ac? im getting up 3 am tomorrow to water the garden at first light 5:15 or so, right after a qiock bean picking. go inside, got some paperwork to get done, shelling and sorting, then turn on the mini ac, if it is still too hot i'll take a drive to bodega head
Garden! You have a garden gain :) YEAH I has been fun seeing you posting here again. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why are you getting up at 3 am when you’re not going to be watering till 5:15? I would get up at 5am.
Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why are you getting up at 3 am when you’re not goinyg to be watering till 5:15? I would get up at 5am.
Mary
Mary ... Marshall has to set up the sprinklers before turning on the water at 5:15 am play date time with the BIG FOOT KIDS since they just can't stand the heat wave. :weee

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
rain and rainbows at the moment. i think just south of us must have had a good gully washer for bit. i was kinda worried about tornadoey weather but it broke up as it got up this way.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
The west coast is going into the frying pan for a few days. Even Portland will be over 100 and Seattle 95. UGH...

Mary: they are saying that Angels Camp may hit 118 next week! And the owner of the vac rental I manage there was just complaining about his PG&E bills at that house.

Latest posts