Weather Where You Are

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Derecho that blew through Iowa on Aug. 10th was bad. We got lucky with only one tree down and power back on in 3 hours. People to our west are still without power, damaged / unlivable homes and major tree loss. :(

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do these two tropical storms, Marco and Laura ..

. look like they are both headed right @Ridgerunner ?

I was seeing that Marco was running more towards @baymule , @henless , maybe @HmooseK but the WS seems to be changing its mind. You guys better be taking precautions.

Steve
The lastest professinally types I listened to said do not watch that movie called "The Perfect Storm" cause it aint happening. Still, I like Mark Walberg as an action figure and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio since Scarface and definitely as Maid Marian with Costner.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do these two tropical storms, Marco and Laura ..

. look like they are both headed right @Ridgerunner ?

I was seeing that Marco was running more towards @baymule , @henless , maybe @HmooseK but the WS seems to be changing its mind. You guys better be taking precautions.

Steve

These forecasts have been pretty wild, Steve. Seems they change every time they come out with a new prediction. They use different computer programs to predict how they develop and where they go. With both of these storms those different programs haven't agreed much. Marco especially has been a problem, he's small in size and easily pushed around by different winds. It seems a long time ago but at one time both were forecast to hit New Orleans, one right behind the other. But my wife told them that the bars in New Orleans are closed due to Covid so could they please take their honeymoon somewhere else.

The latest I've heard is that Marco will never hit land as a storm. It may touch the south coast of Louisiana but is expected to head west, stay mostly offshore, and break up offshore of western Louisiana. It will still produce a lot of rain and some winds, so there is some risk but it's not going to be as bad as it could have been.

Laura is bigger, stronger, and is expected to intensify. The computer models have reasonable agreement right now, until they change again. They were not sure if Laura would leave Cuba on the north side or the south. It looks like it will be the south which means a more westerly track. They were waiting on that. The different models now have reasonable agreement that Laura will hit somewhere around Houston or over to the west or central Louisiana coast. Somewhere in that area, And as a category 2 hurricane. The good news, if there is any, is that she will be moving fast, won't hang around and punish people.

I'm not in that cone of probability but I will get rain out of both systems. It won't be enough to cause me any problems but some low-lying areas that always flood will flood. Mainly streets. I'll get some wind but nothing gale force here. Probably 30 mph tops. That's not going to do much damage here. Others will lose power.

All this assumes no big changes in forecasts. Both these storms have a history of big changes.

Even Marco can be dangerous, he will produce enough wind and rain to cause trees to fall down and some people know how bad that can be. Laura will present more danger. It's one of those things you don;t wish it on anyone else but you sure don't want it coming your way.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no experience. What I see on the teevee news this morning is a prediction of up to 15" of rain. Somehow, hurricanes arriving from somewhat different directions at different speeds seem to me like they would produce outrageous rain.

But my wife told them that the bars in New Orleans are closed due to Covid so could they please take their honeymoon somewhere else.
Okay. I started to post this in the humor thread and decided NOT to. Since you and your wife are there, actually there, and kidding about the circumstances - maybe you will tolerate me posting it here:

A guy walks into a New Orleans speakeasy and says “Give me a Corona and two Hurricanes.”

The bartender says “That’ll be 2020”

digitS'

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
and here it has returned to hot and dry again. a little rain in the forecast here or there but nothing has actually come of any of these other than a few drops once. not even enough to keep the driveway wet.

the longer range forecasts have really been rotten this year. last week they said we were going to be in the mid-70s this week. a few days later it all changed to the mid-80s to low 90s. now they have after this coming Friday to start getting back to the low 80s and even into the mid-70s for next week. i'll believe it when i see it. same for the rain...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay. I started to post this in the humor thread and decided NOT to. Since you and your wife are there, actually there, and kidding about the circumstances - maybe you will tolerate me posting it here:

A guy walks into a New Orleans speakeasy and says “Give me a Corona and two Hurricanes.”

The bartender says “That’ll be 2020”

digitS'

One of our weathermen told that joke. Sort of gallows humor.

For the innocent that don't know, a Hurricane is a pretty potent rum drink popular in the French Quarter in New Orleans.

Latest posts