Weather Where You Are

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thought I'd show what hurricane force winds can do.

Before.jpg

Before Zeta (Wednesday)

After.jpg

After Zeta (Thursday)

I'm growing these for seeds and will get all the seeds I need so it's not a total loss. But I thought it was impressive.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thought I'd show what hurricane force winds can do.

View attachment 37336
Before Zeta (Wednesday)

View attachment 37335
After Zeta (Thursday)

I'm growing these for seeds and will get all the seeds I need so it's not a total loss. But I thought it was impressive.
I thought about you when I read your posts and realized you were in the path. We were downstairs in the den, and I had a window blind open watching the trees bend like grass. It was illuminated by the bluish white flashes of electrical failure, and some flashes were impressive. So was the wind. I saw trees bend over into yoga positions that would have broken my spine.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The beans still look good. We here sometimes get straight line winds of up to 100mph, NO tornado, and, of course, no hurricane. Flattened my friend's corn this summer, mine were bent, but recovered.
Sounds like Vegetative Karate techniques in action. I swear, if we did not have so many trees they would fall over instead of leaning on each other for support. I have full grown trees within 12 inches of shed and gazebo rooflines. Some close enough a bug could walk the gap. I figured it would have been a thing to deal with but got lucky it was not worse.
PXL_20201030_222429990_resize_42.jpg
PXL_20201030_222234915_resize_1.jpg
PXL_20201030_222219574_resize_40.jpg

In His short story called The Diary of Adam and Eve, Mark Twain complained through the mouth of Adam that his wife, through Eve, had named something Architecture and He was not at all sure what it was.

I Present you Marks' spirit child in the form of my wife.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday i came across an article which gives me some hints as to perhaps why the forecasts this year have been so strange.

the weather forecasting models are fed weather information from the flights of planes, pretty much in real time.

with the huge change in the number of flights the forecast models just aren't getting the information they used to get.

for some reason i never actually thought to search the news articles about this topic but this does show that it wasn't a mystery to those who knew about this being a potential problem... just me off in the corner here... :)

p.s. today is shaping up to be a beautiful day out there. :) yay!

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A beautiful day to stand in line outside. ;) It looks like upper 60's - low 70's for the next week, the last great "hurrah!" before the big freeze. We might even be able to finish the garden cleanup, that in recent (wet) years had to wait for Spring.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like Wisconsin and Illinois are having the same weather next week as here in Eastern IA. Pretty nice for the 1st week in November.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rain. Some wind and, then, some more rain tonight.

I'm pleased to see the forecast for southern Oregon :ya. @Rhodie Ranch will be telling us about that. A .16" for all of October after a summer of drought. Come on! It's Oregon and even on the wet-side of the Cascades.

Let me tell you about people unaccustomed to rain. Me. Hard to believe that I'm such a wimp :). I mean, growing up in Oregon and living for several years on the northern California coast - I was reminded of that "Everybody Loves Raymond" monologue.

I'm out on an errand walking back to the pickup. Shift change and people walking with me to a parking garage. "I felt a drop!" ... "We are gonna get soaked!" ... "Cover your water bottles! Run!!!"

People sprinting across lawns :D I make it back to the pickup and start off. I can't figure out how to adjust the wipers. I'm too used to "mist" and the first click on "slow." By the time I've driven all of 3 miles, the storm had decreased to a sprinkle, which continued. A grand total of .10" but, as I say, more coming!

;) Steve

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are right, Digits. A mere smattering of drops expected. I'm so underwhelmed by it all that I applied my second dose of crab grass, Johnson grass and nut sedge control yesterday. "shrugs" the little amt of drops won't affect the treatment.