Weather Where You Are

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Another heavy fall of snow overnight in southern UK....!! Chaos here with people abandoning their transport. A lot of people can't get to work or pick up their shopping for the holiday. We have constant warnings on TV etc not to go out unless it is very important. Hospitals are cancelling non-emergency operations because their staff can't get in.

It is actually sunny at the moment but still well below zero. The snowfalls have moved north to Scotland but down here we will definitely have problems with icy roads overnight & tomorrow morning.
So far my chickens are fine. I have to keep renewing their water as it freezes fast -- we can't buy heated containers here. I have increased the amount of food I give them but they seem to be quite happy to go outside & they are standing around in patches of sunlight. So now the solstice is past I hope the gradually length of day will encourage more of my girls to lay.
One young pullet has been producing 6 eggs a week. She is a Dorking x White Plymouth Rock that was hatched in May this year.

I hope you all have wonderful Happy Holidays ! :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Hattie! You are really getting hit hard. Is that unusual weather for you?? I am glad you and your chickens are fairing well! I would be happy to send you a heater for your waterer- I am not sure if you have the same kind of plug that we have...Stay warm if you can! Counting down to spring!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lesa :frow

That is extremely kind of you but the US has both different plugs as well as different electricity ratings so they don't work.
The exercise is good for me & I love checking up on them. :love

Keep warm & happy :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ha, Ha! Chicago is getting the ice storm this time, and we, in the center of the state have rain until the evening of the 24th, then fluffy snow for 2 days after! I'm dreaming of a White Christmas!!!!!
Dec 23, Rain / Wind80% Chance of Precipitation

Thu, Dec 24, Rain / Wind80% Chance of Precipitation

Fri, Dec 25, Few Snow Showers30% Chance of Precipitation

Sat, Dec 26, Few Snow Showers30% Chance of Precipitation

Sun, Dec 27, Flurries30% Chance of Precipitation

:weee **ducks4you and family and dogs, cats, and horses play in the snow on Christmas** Chickens aren't allowed out of the barn, lest the egg production slows down!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are into a major frigid spell right now, in the single digits at night and the bitter wind blowing all day and night. Got the wood furnace running wide open to keep the house nice and toasty.

Went out and checked on my bees today. DH and I had put a couple bails of straw behind them for a wind block. The first two times I knocked on their box I didn't seem to hear anything, even with my ear pressed to the freezing cold top cover. Pulled out the entrance reducer and gave it another good whack, then they buzzed really loud and I could hear it easily! They're still with us!

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The high today was -14F (that's without the windchill).

Brrrrrrrrr!
A bunch of people at work couldn't get their cars to start today, because of frozen fuel lines/pumps.

I am not looking forward to going outside tonight!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did I see something about single digitS'? No, I've got DW to keep me warm :)!

Beginning with record cold to end the growing season, we've had a rather strange off-season: November was fairly windy but, otherwise, uneventful. Early December it was cold again but warmed up, snowed, and then rained! With the ground good and frozen, the rain and melted snow created running mud :/ in some places. It cooled off quickly, again.

A little snow after a "brown Christmas" and then another rain storm! More running mud!! A visitor to the house yesterday pointed out that he had to wade thru a "lake" over the walk up to the front door. I told him that I was punching holes thru the frozen ground in my downhill backyard to allow the water to sink into the aquifer and not carry my garage into the neighbor's yard.

It didn't freeze last night !!

The weather is supposed to slowly cool but I can hardly imagine an overnight temperature at this time of year that's above freezing.

Steve

Latest posts