Weather

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 , can you reduce the heat loss in the rooms on the windy side? Closing doors but otherwise keeping the temperature up where there isn't a danger of pipes freezing ...

Our prevailing winds are from the southwest. Of course, terrible cold can come out of the Canadian Rockies, to the north. Fortunately, the kitchen and bath are the warmest rooms in this house because the furnace is located directly below them.

Supposed to be 70 today! Then going down back to low 60s during the week.

I can't even imagine what -31 feels like. :(

Mary

I have only experienced that much cold a few times. The very first winter I moved here, the temperatures dropped to 24° below zero for one day. I can remember being out trying to get my car running ... in the wind. I'm not sure if "wind chill" numbers meant anything to us back then. It's reality, baby! Just as meaningful, and maybe more so, than measuring mercury in a tube of vacuum ...

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 , can you reduce the heat loss in the rooms on the windy side? Closing doors but otherwise keeping the temperature up where there isn't a danger of pipes freezing ...

Our prevailing winds are from the southwest. Of course, terrible cold can come out of the Canadian Rockies, to the north. Fortunately, the kitchen and bath are the warmest rooms in this house because the furnace is located directly below them.

I have only experienced that much cold a few times. The very first winter I moved here, the temperatures dropped to 24° below zero for one day. I can remember being out trying to get my car running ... in the wind. I'm not sure if "wind chill" numbers meant anything to us back then. It's reality, baby! Just as meaningful, and maybe more so, than measuring mercury in a tube of vacuum ...

Steve

The downstairs has an open floor-plan between the kitchen, dining and living room. Only two doors to shut: bathroom and downstairs bedroom (warmest room due to location--that's where the parakeets stay). Not much can be done with a drafty ol' 1942 farmhouse, I'm afraid. It was remodeled 15 years ago, new siding, insulation, windows, etc. I think we do need to pull off the moldings and spray foam filler around the sliding glass doors and windows on that side of the house. When the wind blows like that, I can feel cold air around the outlets too! No wind, it can get as cold as it wants with no problem. We're on top of a hill with no windbreaks. It would be too expensive to heat with electric or gas here, so wood is the way to go. We also have a furnace that burns fuel oil, but we don't use it (can't use it simultaneously with the wood furnace anyway since the duct work is shared.) So we just bundle up a couple days out of the year.

I am NOT looking forward to tending to the chickens today!

My brain must have been half frozen this morning. I sprinkled Mrs. Dash in my coffee instead of my eggs! o_O

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm experimenting with half n half versus whole milk in my coffee today, @journey11 .

No thought of using Mrs Dash ... :lol:

I think I'll go back to the usual -- black.

Steve

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 Brrr I am shivering in my boots again today, too! No school. Temps well below zero and wind chills to -45. Overnight to get colder again with a warm up to 12 degrees for Thursday! Looking forward to the balmy 20 degrees forecast for the weekend! LOL Our old home was built in 1904, remodeled several times. Still can be drafty. So glad we do not live out in the open. :confused:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee , I can't imagine how you far northerners cope with that kind of weather! I guess I'm technically a southerner...stuck in the middle here near the Mason-Dixon line.

The cats were beating down the door this morning trying to get it. Too cold for them. They are basking in the warmest room with the parakeets (up high out of reach.) I even let the resident stray kitty come in. She's a cute, round and tubby little poly-dactyl tabby with a raspy meow. :) I call her "Roby", short for her nickname of "Robot Meow".

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well dang after reading some of you all s temps, guess tonights 8* w/ a -6 wind chill we are having a winter heat wave. shall see how the children handle this snap.
stay safe and warm.......

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Temps here tonight are going to around 0 or below with wind chills around -20 I don't think there will be school tomorrow...even if there is school tomorrow I don't think I will be sending mine out in that weather.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
after reading the latest weather update through the coat on and proceeded to harvest all the bigger heads of lettuce, would hate to have lost them to the weather.
oh my oh my it was cold getting them... fingers crossed for everything else..:fl :fl