Weather

coco25

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cut Off, Louisiana Zone 9a, Bayou Country
I'd like to report that I did something in the garden today.

I was supposed to be weeding. I spent almost exactly an hour. Probably more wind in the big veggie garden but officially wind gusts above 30mph and a day's high in the upper 60's. It wasn't terribly cold but uncomfortable this morning!

By Sunday, we are supposed to be approaching record highs in the 90's!

Steve
Wow 60 to 90' that's a big change! You actually have seasons there, I don't consider what we have is actually seasons!

It's been in the mid 80's -90's & muggy & sticky here for a while now, I don't see where it's gonna get better. Worked on getting my plastic up over the hoops for garden to try to keep the garden from drowning over the next few days, & the sweat was pouring!! But I'm glad it's done!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Despite my fervent intentions, I didn't get into the garden today. Cleaned and situated furniture from the bed move until the dew was off the grass, then Spouse and I mowed.

I don't know how far I walked, but I know I walked for 2 1/2 hours with a break now and then. It's been a couple of weeks since the lawn was mowed -- just before I spread fertilizer -- and I didn't want to have a "bale that field" look to the yard so I used a gas push mower and collected the clippings.

I am so tired! My legs hardly want to carry me to the bedroom, much less out to lock up the chickens and carry feed and water for the morning. Back to the kitchen to feed the dog and tote cat food to the deck for one of those non-existant cats.

Tomorrow is the last day of school for the summer. Both Gypsy and Maverick have promised to help with the mowing this weekend. . .

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I wasn't on line much. Working on the bedrooms mostly. But I did plant my front pathway with seedlings I'd started. Today they still look great and are standing tall.

Now if I can keep the chickens out of the bed and prevent the Great Dane horses from tromping through it, I should have a bright, colorful array of flowers along the sidewalk to the house.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We do have 4 seasons but they are a little different than some other areas of North America with similar claims, CoCo. Officially, we have a continental climate but really, it's a Mediterranean growing season.

Warmer lately, "the average temp for May 2016 was 3.6° > normal" (quoting the Weather Service). But, our warmest 2016 day was in April, not May! And also, via the WS, the most recent 29 months have had 21 record highs, 1 record low. Fortunately, the western drought has retreated, somewhat. We are Out of It, locally, along with some of Oregon, and even a little of coastal California. Yaaay!!

Now, if everywhere else can return to normal while this area dances past turning into the Sahara ...

Steve

coco25

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Smart Red sounds like you defenitely need to put your feet up & relax! You must be exhausted after all that pushing for sure!
Push lawnmower def not one of my favorite things ugh
Hope you are able to get some needed rest! :)

coco25

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my unwind time, I got all my outside stuff done, chickens in, cats fed, family fed, I think everyone is done needing me to do something for them for tonight (I hope anyway) Hahha

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Despite my fervent intentions, I didn't get into the garden today. Cleaned and situated furniture from the bed move until the dew was off the grass, then Spouse and I mowed.

I don't know how far I walked, but I know I walked for 2 1/2 hours with a break now and then. It's been a couple of weeks since the lawn was mowed -- just before I spread fertilizer -- and I didn't want to have a "bale that field" look to the yard so I used a gas push mower and collected the clippings.

I am so tired! My legs hardly want to carry me to the bedroom, much less out to lock up the chickens and carry feed and water for the morning. Back to the kitchen to feed the dog and tote cat food to the deck for one of those non-existant cats.

Tomorrow is the last day of school for the summer. Both Gypsy and Maverick have promised to help with the mowing this weekend. . .

Call @Carol Dee she is quite the lawnmower gal!! :ya

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was blessed with no knee or hip pain as I focused upon putting one foot in front of the other. The worst I can suggest is I'm having trouble with alergies -- to grass, to trees, to weeds, to something, so the headache was there and I'm just too overweight and out of shape for hand mowing. The garden tractor has taken over hard work.

Carol Dee fought through her pain. She's a better man than I am and I admire her determination.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww @Smart Red I think you are amazing. You have so much going on. DH is most important.Love on him. The Grands will be good help, too I am certain. :hugs