Weed ID - Found in our woods - East Texas

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DH & I were cutting Sow Thistle for our goats this evening. As we worked I saw the following weeds & wondered what they are:

1. I'm thinking this is some kind of wild rose?
0401161906b-1.jpg

0401161907a-1.jpg

0401161910-1.jpg

2. This is next to the rose like plant, and looks similar. But, the leaves are bigger and on one stem, there are 5 leaves.
0401161908-1.jpg

0401161909-1.jpg

0401161908a-1-1.jpg

0401161909b-1.jpg

0401161911-1.jpg

3. I'm 99% sure this is Plantain. But, the leaves are hairy & the Plantain, that we had in Pennsylvania had smooth leaves.
0401161906-1-1.jpg

Attachments

• 0401161907-1.jpg
    0401161907-1.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 404

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The "roses" look more like some kind of bramble to me. That's probably a good thing, as most brambles will produce some sort of edible berry (raspberries and blackberries are brambles) Which one(s) these are, I have no clue, there are so many.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder about your Plantain ... and, wander and wonder ;).

We have 2 common Plantago species of lawn weeds - broad and narrow leaves. You will certainly know if you are off course when it begins to flower and it's this scraggly, white flowered weed.

If it is, I have wandered through several weed ID sites over about 45 minutes looking for it!

They are very common here altho usually outside the garden and not much for causing trouble within it. It's more of a "behind the garage" weed ;).

@Gardening with Rabbits once asked about the one I'm thinking of and I said, "oh, it's that baby's breath type weed." Perhaps I shouldn't have suggested a gypsophilia. She didn't believe me anyway but if I'd said that I think it's in the borage family, maybe she would have found it for us ... gypsophilia is also in that family, if I remember right. It's that I don't think of borage plants as having white flowers.

If it is a Cryptantha species, there are dozens and dozens to choose from! They are mostly desert plants but it's really a broad family. And! I can't find it!

If you can keep an eye on it and note the flowers, you may be able to track down a name.

By the way, you can delete duplicate posts. Just look for that button near the edit button. I think there is a time limit and you have to type in a reason for deleting. TEG seems to be prone to duplicate posts ...

Steve

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Steve. But I'm fairly certain this is Plantain.

In PA, we had 2 varieties of Plantain in our yard: broadleaf and narrow leaf. The classic sign is the non-branched veining. The only difference is that this has a hairy leaf.

I found one website that says Texas has 13 varieties of Plantain:
http://essmextension.tamu.edu/plants/plant/plantain/

The second photo, on this web page, is amazingly like my photo, right down to the "flower" stem coming out of the plant:
http://www.foragingtexas.com/2008/08/plantin.html?m=1

The distribution map shows plantain in the county next to ours - maybe 5 miles from our property.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The "roses" look more like some kind of bramble to me. That's probably a good thing, as most brambles will produce some sort of edible berry (raspberries and blackberries are brambles) Which one(s) these are, I have no clue, there are so many.
Thanks for your feedback @Pulsegleaner. It may well be some sort of wild berry/bramble.

We do have a nasty bramble here, but it doesn't look anything like this. I will try to remember to get a photo of it tomorrow.

We have had to clear the property line, getting ready for putting in perimeter fencing. Our bramble was so thick, we had to cut it with a metal blade on a weed trimmer. Many times we almost tripped because it seems to wrap itself around your ankles. NASTY!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That Texas A & M ID has that typical plantain flower. There is no question.

Maybe, I'll post a picture of the other critter soon just to aggravate @Gardening with Rabbits . The annual and herbaceous perennial weeds show up every year and, every year, I slowly begin to identify them again. I just hit a wall with the one I'm talking about. My excuse for all this is that I don't really like them around and have zero interest in thinking about them during the 6 months when they are not ;).

Then, they show up, "common as a weed," and I feel uncomfortable not knowing what I am finding in my environment after so many seasons as a gardener. So many, the identification comes back to mind.

Particularly, the ones that have plagued humanity since the dawn of agriculture, I grudgingly give their due respect and then we both, move on ... with me trying not to think about them through half the year, again ...

:) Steve

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Steve. But I'm fairly certain this is Plantain.

In PA, we had 2 varieties of Plantain in our yard: broadleaf and narrow leaf. The classic sign is the non-branched veining. The only difference is that this has a hairy leaf.

I found one website that says Texas has 13 varieties of Plantain:
http://essmextension.tamu.edu/plants/plant/plantain/

The second photo, on this web page, is amazingly like my photo, right down to the "flower" stem coming out of the plant:
http://www.foragingtexas.com/2008/08/plantin.html?m=1

Neither page breaks it down to species but your plant might be Plantago virginica; its range includes your area.
http://uswildflowers.com/detail.php?SName=Plantago virginica

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first looks like a weed that sometimes has a small strawberry like berry. It produces lots of very prickly difficult to pull plants.The 2nd looks like a wild rose. Again invasive if let go. Red stemmed looks like blackberry-not worth the terrible thorns. The 3rd looks like a plantain seed, but I think that could be 2 different plants. The long leaves looks like a Rudbeckia or black eyed Susan.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The first looks like a weed that sometimes has a small strawberry like berry. It produces lots of very prickly difficult to pull plants.The 2nd looks like a wild rose. Again invasive if let go. Red stemmed looks like blackberry-not worth the terrible thorns. The 3rd looks like a plantain seed, but I think that could be 2 different plants. The long leaves looks like a Rudbeckia or black eyed Susan.
You may be right on all three accounts @catjac1975. If I remember correctly, the first 2 get rather leggy & thick as the summer progresses. That is in addition to that nasty bramble! This winter I noticed some fencelines, along the roads we drive regularly, with low growing, thick, burgundy colored leaves - which had been green earlier in the year. The other day I noticed one of those patches had similar white flowers, to the ones in the first set of photos.

The third plant, has the seed stems coming from the center of a rosette of leaves in the ground. Although on your theory of the Rudbeckia, we do get masses of yellow, daisy like flowers in the same area. Last year I was too busy & overwhelmed to take a close look. I just enjoyed the mass of yellow daisies, in passing.

Latest posts