Well don't that just beat all...grumble grumble

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today, I was cooking up a smaller turkey just for DH and myself. I made pumpkin pie first. Libby canned pumpkin. Store bought shell. 1 pie. that pie too ...2.5 hours! Just to bake :th
I thought that was odd, considering they usually take maybe an hour 15 minutes.

So, I finally pull out the pie so I can pop the turkey in. An 8 lb bird. Thawed. Supposed to take 3 hours...max. Nope. Popped it in at 12:30...by 4....it just wasn't done. I pulled out the thermometer, as I had t take its temp anyway. 144F. Hmmph

I bumped up the oven temp. Stuck the bird back in. Rechecked it at 5. Nada.
Now DH, has this new Caterpillar cellphone that has infared applications. I said...run this through your phone! Oven temp...129F. Elements...both went out while cooking turkey dinner today. :barnie:hit:\

7 pm. I had to put the bird in the crockpot. It will cook all night. I'll see how it is doing in the morning.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had high winds on Thursday and I'm thinking ..

. "what are we gonna do if the electricity goes out?" We got through the 46mph wind gusts ... okay!

Sorry, about your oven, Moxie'. I bet your crockpot turkey is good!

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Crockpot turkey is for supper tonight. And now I am without an oven for a while.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, I was cooking up a smaller turkey just for DH and myself. I made pumpkin pie first. Libby canned pumpkin. Store bought shell. 1 pie. that pie too ...2.5 hours! Just to bake :th
I thought that was odd, considering they usually take maybe an hour 15 minutes.

So, I finally pull out the pie so I can pop the turkey in. An 8 lb bird. Thawed. Supposed to take 3 hours...max. Nope. Popped it in at 12:30...by 4....it just wasn't done. I pulled out the thermometer, as I had t take its temp anyway. 144F. Hmmph

I bumped up the oven temp. Stuck the bird back in. Rechecked it at 5. Nada.
Now DH, has this new Caterpillar cellphone that has infared applications. I said...run this through your phone! Oven temp...129F. Elements...both went out while cooking turkey dinner today. :barnie:hit:\

7 pm. I had to put the bird in the crockpot. It will cook all night. I'll see how it is doing in the morning.
One year many years ago I was doing Thanksgiving. Not the holiday that I usually do. 3 days before my oven died and we had to run out and buy one. Too old to fix. Getting an appliance delivered on short notice is not always possible. It is a gas oven. Today I would need a plumber to install it. Back then the delivery guy did the very easy installation. Can you imagine 30 people showing up to no turkey? Let us know how that crock pot turkey turned out!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a disappointment Moxie! Fortunately you weren't cooking for a crowd, that would have been a lot of pressure.

The chip in my old electric stove would malfunction now and then and lock itself for the self cleaning mode when I didn't tell it to. I would have to do a lot of fidgeting with the lock to get it open. It did this for the last time on a Thanksgiving morning when I put the turkey in. I tried everything to get it to unlock and it wasn't working. I about had a heart attack. It did eventually get persuaded to work right, but I replaced it with a gas stove. With no self clean.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a disappointment Moxie! Fortunately you weren't cooking for a crowd, that would have been a lot of pressure.

The chip in my old electric stove would malfunction now and then and lock itself for the self cleaning mode when I didn't tell it to. I would have to do a lot of fidgeting with the lock to get it open. It did this for the last time on a Thanksgiving morning when I put the turkey in. I tried everything to get it to unlock and it wasn't working. I about had a heart attack. It did eventually get persuaded to work right, but I replaced it with a gas stove. With no self clean.
Did the temp go to 550 in the self cleaning mode?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Talking about stoves,:he:he:he,:rant:rant:rant. Modern technology :somad. I know the feeling Thistle. The last one, hadn't had it very long and ended up having to belt the control panel to get anything to work, but the last straw was when one of the big elements was on hi and I couldn't turn it off, had to pull the stove out and unplug.
The one I have now I have to watch as sometimes when I set the timer it turns the oven off, oven has a mind of it's own as to what temp it is no matter what you set it for, using the left back element you have to watch you don't burn yourself lifting the lid to have a peak, the oven vent is just above it and if the oven happens to be on OUCH!!!. The steam clean is about useless as t*ts on a b*ll. The hi and low knobs for the elements are the opposite for front and back, that got a bit getting use to.
I could go on and on, next stove if I'm going live a little longer will be as basic as I can find, no steam clean, no self clean, no so called fantastic bells and whistles.
I do like glass tops so easy to clean and of course stainless, no more enamel finishes for me and no more added warrentees when having the service man out only to tell you he couldn't find anything wrong. Of course on those days it's on it's best behavior. There, that really felt good, venting all that pent up frustration.

Annette

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This one is a GE glass top. 8 years old. Lightly used even. grrrr

Latest posts