Went to pick a watermelon.....yeah right *pics*

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So this year I thought Id be all smart and grow Sugar baby watermelons right? The plants took off, lots of nice good sized watermelons but no tendrils to be found.

So I looked at the skin. Dark color.

7129_sam_1705.jpg

Even found the yellow spot on the underside

7129_sam_1704.jpg

:drool

Yep thought I was so smart till we cut it open

7129_sam_1706.jpg

:ep

DANG IT!!!! :somad

Well tasted it anyway yep its not ready :sick

Luckily I only picked one but it was one thats been looking like this for a while.

I made the mistake of not noting when I first got fruit on them. I could probably figure it out when I noticed them and start counting but I thought for sure I was getting close. Maybe Ill have watermelons for Labor Day.....:barnie

Anybody have some insight to where I messed up at? Other than picking it too early?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look for a bigger, pale/creamy colored spot on the bottom...bigger & lighter than what that one had, unfortunately! It's too bad those don't have the tendril. That really is the easiest way to tell. :p

ETA: And with a good thump, it should sound hollow.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, too bad Jared! Yours are way farther along than mine, I just have blooms, so I'm not expecting any melons for summer picnics :( .
Hopefully you'll have lots more .

dinkadoo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Jared,

Had the same issues with a Sugar Lump(Baker Creek heirloom). I read somewhere that those w/o tendrills would show a canker on the stem 1-2" from the melon and when it was ripe the vine would split at that spot. Well, dog if it did'nt! And the melon was great! Mine ripe looked like your pic but it was a whiteflesh. I did sacrifice 2 or three before I hit it right!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is the worst part about watermelon!! You just don't know until it is too late! I agree with Journey, the yellow spot will be almost white... Still waiting for mine (I am growing sugar babies too). Enjoy your next one!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When that happens it's time for either watermelon rind pickles or marmalade.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Jared, at least you have some size going there! Sorry it wasn't ready yet though. That is disapointing. My one and only sugar baby is smaller than a golf ball. It may be a "one bite" melon come fall!

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wait for the melon to slip easily from the vine without any tugging whatsoever.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
Jared, at least you have some size going there! Sorry it wasn't ready yet though. That is disapointing. My one and only sugar baby is smaller than a golf ball. It may be a "one bite" melon come fall!
We got a TINY melon last year.
8098_008.jpg
[/url][/img]
8098_009.jpg
[/url][/img]
8098_013.jpg
[/url][/img]

Latest posts