What am I ? Voluenteers :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
From your list, my vote is "unmarked seed from last year". I just don't see anything on your list that fits.

My first thought was also zinnia, but sunflower is also a real possibility. That thin stem in the first photo makes me think more zinnia. I'm not familiar with that dark stem, but that is very likely the variety.

Unless you had no moisture until recently, I would not have expected either zinnias or sunflowers to wait two months to sprout this time of year. After two months, plant starts that just fell on the ground would not look like that. They would be a lot bigger and would not be coming straight out of the ground.

I can't think of any "weed" that looks like that, though it is always a possibility. With those coming up like that, I'd think it more likely seeds you spilled than seeds birds, wind, or whatever deposited. If you are OK with the location, I think I'd let them go or they could also be transplanted. Either sunflowers or zinnias should be able to handle transplanting if you keep them watered.

hunterjumper999

Leafing Out
Reaction score
38717_553426377522_58102172_32288069_6164288_n.jpg

These are less than 2' away.. but i just planted them in march from seed... not sure if they would have reseeded yet.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree on the zinnias but from your list we can determine what it is not.

It is not

Brocoli
Cabbage
Tomatoes
Peppers
Carrorts

I do love your little pink zinnias I grew the persion carpet mix this year and love the bounty of little yellow and orange flowers! I will grow them again next year.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forgot to plant any zinnas this year and I regret it. Wish I had some volunteers! :D

newchickmom09

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think that looks just like zinnias also. I sprinkled some dead zinnias in a flower bed three years ago and they come back every year.

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I agree on the zinnias but from your list we can determine what it is not.

It is not

Brocoli
Cabbage
Tomatoes
Peppers
Carrorts

I do love your little pink zinnias I grew the persion carpet mix this year and love the bounty of little yellow and orange flowers! I will grow them again next year.
dont forget butterfly bush mix and lavender

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I vote zinnias too....1st thing that came to mind when I saw them. I guess sunflower could be a possibility like others said...?

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

Latest posts