What animals are you Gardening with?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
4 chickens and 2 lab mixes

the dogs help keep critters out of the yard squirlle skunk woodchuck cats crows and hawks... the chickens eat weeds weed seeds all kinds of bugs and an occational strawberry...they love to help me dig in the garden...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would like to add I am now gardening with turtles who can't mind their own business!!!!!! :barnie

I found one in my strawberry patch... it didn't do any noticeable harm... but I just lost 3 strawberry plants to a gopher yesterday... or the day before... i just know I ended up with 2 dead strawberries that had lost all but 1" of root! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
:smack

I promise... there will be some dead animals soon... I am prefering the idea of squirrels at this point. Easier to catch them in the act and I'd get a better shot at them with the BB gun then a gopher or turtle.

:tongue

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've got two dogs and a bunch of chickens, they are not allowed in the garden though, they just beg from the other side of the fence (chickens and dogs, it's very cute). I do have a lot of frogs in my garden. I was out there the other morning messing around and I saw a slug "oh boy the chickens will love that", so I picked it up... well... It wasn't a slug, nope, it was frog poop. :rolleyes: But I guess they eat lots of bugs so I'll keep them around!!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
I would like to add I am now gardening with turtles who can't mind their own business!!!!!! :barnie

I found one in my strawberry patch... it didn't do any noticeable harm... but I just lost 3 strawberry plants to a gopher yesterday... or the day before... i just know I ended up with 2 dead strawberries that had lost all but 1" of root! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
:smack

I promise... there will be some dead animals soon... I am prefering the idea of squirrels at this point. Easier to catch them in the act and I'd get a better shot at them with the BB gun then a gopher or turtle.

:tongue
But turtles eat SLUGS, silly!!! Sacrifice a berry here and there for the free pest control! :lol:

Granmahen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Rabbits and chickens. Veggie garden is fenced but grassy part of it is open to bunnies for exercise. Chickens only allowed on lawn and flower garden area. Love the way they scratch up the soil and eat the bugs. Because of the chickens, I do make compost in the corner but have two rabbit hutches in the rose garden and let everything just drop. Roses looooooove it. Bunnies for petting and chickens for eggs and manure from both. Worth the feed and labor. Even share compost with in-laws. Might I say they love us.:love

Heirloomer

Sprout
Reaction score
I just got to this site from Backyard Chickens where the moderator here helped clean up a bad camper on one of the treads I was on.

I have an heirloom/heritage farm where we grow on two acres of garden and have a 25 member CSA with some of the members volunteering to work for part of their shares.

This year I have incorporated animals into the garden starting with chickens. We have 18 Australorps and have just completed a "chicken tractor" in which I have put three of them. It is 8 feet long by 2 ft wide and has two nest boxes. It is used for the walking paths between the rows.

I will soon start construction on a ten foot by 3 foot wide tractor that will be used on the wider walking paths and this will be followed by a 12 foot by 4 foot model for even larger areas. The last one will have wheels at both ends.

I also have Tennessee Fainting Goats. I have constructed a "Goat Moat" around the outside fence line using wooden snow fencing on the interior which the goats can use to keep the fence line clear. The interior fence also keeps out the deer which don't like to jump into an enclosed space.

One of the goats just gave birth on Monday to three babies, one of which unfortunately died the next day. However, the other two, both boys, are doing fine and are SOOOOO cute! I will have to attach pictures as soon as I learn how to do it.

We also have two rabbits in cages near the chickens and a Toulouse "Guard Goose" in with the chickens. I am planning on putting the goose out with the sweet corn once it is large enough to weed and keep out the raccoons. Anyone have any experience with that?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we have to show pictures of these animals :) I will show you mine if you show me yours?

I love being surrounded by animals wild and domestic but when you have to travel unless you get a jewel to look after your house (and we have a jewel he is just the best guy ever!) it is so hard to go away

what do you guys do when you travel or have to leave home?

I worry that sometimes we have to figure out other plans ..my kids are far away right now and our neighbors can not handle the load of beasts we have created!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
here is one of my helpers he is making sure the birdbath is clean right now but some day he will be pulling my weed cart :)

6185_img_4056.jpg

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, that bird bath is spotless! ;)

HiDelight, you really need to read the book Enslaved by Ducks (and the sequel, I can't remember the name now). The author describes the dilema of finding someone to care for his menagerie, and he has a great sense of humor. :)

Latest posts