What are you canning now?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I canned up a squirrel for you today! :D Nice young female that was raiding my apple tree...and will do it no more. Clean kill, fresh meat, immediately canned up in a jar for tenderness.

Hope they get more. :drool
Oh Beekissed, you are so brave! :D To be honest, I don't think I would even be able to taste it. I will taste venison though. ;)

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Think rabbit! Rabbit is simply the white meat and squirrel the dark meat. :D So very flavorful and rich it's a shame to miss it. This one was full of nut meats, so it ought to taste wonderful...that fall mast really sweetens all the meat of the wild game.

Bow season starts next weekend!!! :celebrate Venison is on the way, Miss Mary! :drool

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't...but all my boys do! My dad was a great bowhunter and taught it to all my boys. We don't gun hunt here, though I have a brother that comes out to gun hunt once or twice per season. He just uses the old .16 gauge with a slug shot, so no major firearms going on.

Should be lots of tenderloin in the house soon and much more meat for canning. :woot

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are right, it does. I've known men who have bowhunted for over 25 yrs who have never shot a deer with one. My boys try to limit shots to 10-15 yds away...any further it's hard to guarantee accuracy, especially with the recurve bows they are using. It takes more prep time and scouting to do a stealth/still hunt for bow, but it's worth it all when they know the deer had a sporting chance and was taken with a good, clean kill shot.

My boys started bowhunting and got their first kills around 8-9 yrs of age, thanks to my dad's instruction and helping them get setup in their tree stands.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Made 8 more pints of salsa and still have tons of jalapenos left.
Salsa is so fun to make I think I will finish the jalapenos up with that, and then the 20 gallons worth of other assorted hot and sweet peppers will freeze.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know! It's cool to just blend the ingredients, add this or that to taste and then can it up. It's so easy and so pretty in the jar and the smells are heavenly! What an abundance of peppers you have! Do you cook with them throughout the year? T, ever thought of making hot pepper butter so you can use them as a spread on sandwiches and such?

Mary...this pic is for you....Mama washin' that squirrel up. :D YUM!

LL

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, we use peppers a lot! In hash browns, and chili, soups and stews,..
everything but dessert really.
I have never made hot pepper butter, but probably should. What's your recipe?

Latest posts