What are you canning now?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll have to dig that out tomorrow...it's an old recipe from back in the 70s, so uses measurements one doesn't see much today, such as a "peck of peppers".

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DH and some of his buddies came home with a dozen or so squirrels in the back of the truck after a successful hunt one day. One fella's kids came out to see what they got, so DH picked one up by the leg and it broke, making a snapping sound. The kids thought that was great and proceeded to break squirrel legs left and right. Kids! You never know what's going through those little minds. :p

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, I had just taken a bite of my breakfast when I saw your squirrel picture! I admire you so much for being able to do things that I couldn't. I'm sure that if I was hungry enough that I would be able to do it. Just not now, especially when I'm eating my breakfast and not hungry enough for squirrel. ;)

LOVE that nail polish on your mom!

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand, Miss Mary. :hugs It must be vastly different when not raised harvesting, cleaning and eating wild game to see such a thing actually being done. I think if most folks saw all those stages of the meat they eat there would be more vegetarians in the world, for sure.

To me something like that is as natural as putting a bagel in the toaster...just another thing to be prepared for eating.

Sorry if it ruined your breakfast, sweet Mary. :hide Just thought you'd like to see how clean and pink the meat is and not a bit repulsive...sorta looks like chicken.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, it didn't ruin my breakfast. It just looked like clean fresh meat but I just wasn't expecting it. haha. It actually looks like a small rabbit. I'm surprised that it has that much meat on it. For some reason I think of squirrels having very little meat. I'm glad you posted the picture. Got an education that I needed. Does it taste like chicken? :D

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I had to choose a meat that it tasted most like it would be a cross between rabbit and chicken, though squirrel is mostly dark meat. Very mild flavor. That was a small squirrel, so the bigger ones have even more meat, though not as much as a rabbit.

When eviscerating them there is virtually no smell whatsoever...a very clean animal.

Latest posts