What are you canning now?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got up at O'dark thirty and started canning salsa this morning. I was too tired last night, but those jalapenos and tomatoes were looking at me accusingly.
I tossed a towel over them and plopped on the couch. :D

I might have had a little too much caffeine because I was flying through all the slicing and dicing, and I am still in forward momentum mode which is a good thing because I really should be on the road to work!

Woohoo! 9 more pints, and no more jalapenos! Just have to deal with all the gallons of peppers waiting on me out in the garage. probably do chili rellenos and freeze...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh dang. I just remembered the bush of jalapenos I left to color up. Gotta get those picked by tomorrow at the latest, plus the rest of the tomatoes.

Do you know that one Paul Robeson makes 2 cups of diced tomatoes?
They are just starting to ripen so I didn't have many, but they diced much faster than the pile of little guys I had.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two bucks before 8 am this morning, the other son only had does under his stand and we had all agreed to hold off on shooting any of our does if we can, as they are our breeders, so he left them alone.

Hearts and livers soaking in buttermilk, in the fridge....pics of the harvest to follow.
thumbs+up.gif

Will have to can a lot of it before leaving on a trip on Mon.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A bushel of romas that got cooked down last night is all processed and simmering on the stove with herbs, onions, and green peppers. Soon to be spaghetti sauce! Eating a BLT in the meantime...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee how long will a deer last you and your mother ?

If it would just be my mother and I, a whole deer would last a few years or more, but we feed the family when they visit....that's pretty much weekly or bi-weekly, so it's nice to be able to feed them good meat like the deer or my own chickens for those times. With that in mind, a whole deer would last us a single year or even less when feeding the masses. Mom and I don't eat meat that often, so we are pretty conservative on meat usage.

The rest of the deer are going home with the respective men for food at their homes. That's healthy, lean meat for the cost of hunting, which is not much when you are hunting your own land.

My brother came out and killed another buck...they are up in the woods right now doing recovery on that one. Other Son is out hunting as well....if he sees a buck, it's dead meat. He's pretty lethal with a bow, so I don't worry about him getting a deer. Actually, they are all lethal when it comes hunting. :gig

I thank God for all of this good, healthy food!
happy-dancing.gif
This is definitely a "God thing" as we have not seen this many deer~let alone bucks~on this land in many, many years. We are standing in amazement at the number of bucks on this little 18 acres of land, so that's God's intervention for sure. Praise and glory to God for this bounty!
happy-dancing.gif
CHEER.gif
happy.gif
running-around-smiley-emoticon_.gif

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Correction...4 bucks taken today. Middle Son just came in with the news of his buck a moment ago. I praise God for it! :celebrate It's been since the 80s that we've had four bow kills on the first day and all of them bucks. I'm very pleased.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got 6 quarts of deer stew meat canned today, last year's deer, from the freezer. Trying to empty one freezer since it keeps tripping the breaker for some reason. I simmered a big batch of chicken stock today too, to can on Monday.

Congrats on the successful first day of bowhunting, @Beekissed ! My BIL went out today, but I haven't heard yet if he got anything.

DH is in full swing cutting firewood, so he doesn't think he'll bow hunt yet for a couple of weeks. I don't like having to hurry up and butcher them anyway when it's this warm. 11 more loads to go, and we'll have all of our firewood in for the year before it starts. First time ever! He's had an abundance of places to go cut this year and has to keep promising people he'll get to them eventually. Definitely thanking the Lord for all that free wood.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree....too warm really for having meat hanging, that's for sure. I'll take what I can get, though, as the last several years have been slim pickin's for deer meat in this house. We'll just have to hop on the processing....but I have many hands, so it will help.

FREE wood? Definitely praiseworthy!!! :weee I took advantage of all these boys out here waiting for hunting season to get all our wood under storage. ;) I had a captive audience! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts