What are you canning now?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can’t taste it but looks and smell is divine.

Got a bunch of dill pickle chips, and some jalapenos done last night before the fireworks.

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy if someone gives you a case of food with jars, figure each jar is worth about $0.50-$1.00 and that doesn't count the labor and ingredients. so you can slip them a case of jars back once in a while and that does help a great deal.

for every reuse of a jar the costs go down so much, one year i figured that we were spending about $0.25 for a quart of tomatoes (the major expense there are the lids which can be reused for some things but mostly people recycle or throw them away).

a few winters ago we emptied the front closet of extra cases of things we had put up and gave away about 15 cases of jars. we have hardly gotten any of those back. that's why we're coming up so short now. it's going to cost us $100-150 more this year than normal.

i wouldn't say it is required, but very much appreciated. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
When gifted with home canned food, are you suppose to save the jar and return ? I always throw them out and feel a little guilty.
Oh my gosh YES! I love it when I get something in a jar because usually it's from a restaurant or something and I know I get to keep the jar. I'm always looking for jars at garage sales. This year when I make my salsa I'm going to use the small spice size jars so that more people can have some. I'm going to tell them that if they want more next year that they have to return the jar! haha

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
10 qts of dill pickles last night. ran out of dill so had to get flashlight and go pick some more. getting close to where we'll have enough put up so may pull some plants as we don't need that many for fresh eating.

Latest posts