What are you canning now?

Crazy Gardner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
20190902-061811.jpg

52 quarts of peaches, 9 pints of peaches and 4 pints of peach syrup.

My brother and his wife bought me 2 bushels of peaches in St. Jacobs market. Were by far the best peaches I've ever canned. A bad spot once or twice a batch, otherwise just beautiful fruit.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I WOULD!! WOW! Don't think I ever harvested that much, even from my old peach tree. :th
I canned a measley 1 quart and 2 1/2 pints of grape juice yesterday, which is about 1/2 of this year's harvest, down from previous years. Smells HEAVENLY as it cooks all of the juice out of the crushed grapes and skins!
Believe it or not the other 1/2 of the grapes aren't quite ripe yet. They are Easily one month behind, bc by this time, either the birds wouldn't eaten them all, or I would be looking at natural raisins on the vine. I will bring in the rest this weekend. Pretty soon I will be getting tomatoes. Many big, fat green ones just sitting and not turning. A few were ripening on the ground and had rotten spots so they became chicken treats. THEY are Also a month late, but, according to @majorcatfish many people had tomatoes that just died, so I shouldn't complain. I KNOW that as gets colder the plants will panic into ripening. I have gone out and harvested many a Roma tomato after several days of frost and they were on the ground and in good shape.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we picked six buckets of tomatoes a few hours ago. i have them rinsed and sorted out so perhaps now four buckets worth to be dunked, peeled and canned this evening - after i rest up a bit. i expect there to be a lot of waste from these so if i get more than 24 quarts i'll be surprised. i have to remember to do some pints for some friends who say that a quart is too much for them - i better do those first. :) it is easy to get on a roll filling quart jars...

we have some green ones left out there, but not too many larger ones. the vines are still flowering and putting on fruits so if we get warm enough weather they'll keep trying.

also picked a few buckets of cucumbers. i'm not canning any of those. eat a few and give away what's left.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
a picture of the beans would be interesting! :) and yes, when experimenting there can be failtures, but that is how you learn...
20190907_133450.jpg
This year's planting of Chinese Red Noodle was small (actually just intended for seed renewal) so only harvested enough to make 4 jars. Provided they actually taste good, I'll plant enough to make larger batches in the future... they would make interesting gifts.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 32979
This year's planting of Chinese Red Noodle was small (actually just intended for seed renewal) so only harvested enough to make 4 jars. Provided they actually taste good, I'll plant enough to make larger batches in the future... they would make interesting gifts.

pickled, with garlic and spices from what i can see. no added coloring of any kind? looks very interesting, will be interested in hearing how they turn out.

when i've made dilly beans i've enjoyed them as they stay crunchy and that is my favorite way to eat beans from the garden. :)

Crazy Gardner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
First batch done. My grandmother’s from Mexico recipe.

20190907-220201.jpg

I tried out more or less your recipe tonight. Had never properly roasted the tomatoes or peppers, and wow, what a difference that makes. I used half and half batches, 2 different vinegars. One with white and one apple cider vinegar. 2 unique flavours, the bigger of the 2 batches I made a bit spicy(4 pints), the other less so for the wife(3 pints}. Am making another big batch should be 16 pints or so, going to split it up, using jalapenos, and chili peppers in this one, the 1st batch had 2 habaneros, and will be using more of those from the garden when I can get down for the harvest. I really like both of the 1st batch, am really excited for trying some new things, may try a peach salsa soon. Have been avoiding garlic for now, but will fool around with that later. Just so many possibilities.

Edit: just waiting for the cooldown on a batch of 8 pints, 4 left to process. Heat sure changes after it cools down, I ate what was left in the pot, with some nacho chips, and the heat was much weaker than when it was simmering. Be anxious to see how it turns out after the pressure canning. 19 pints altogether, good start. My big pot holds 60 quarts, can't wait to ratchet up the process and make huge batches with all my own ingredients.

20190908-001257.jpg

20190908-001305.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy Gardner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Brought the salsa to work this morning, everyone was impressed. The heat did settle down quite a bit after processing, but I was really impressed with the apple cider vinegar batch, flavours seem to jump out at you, and I found it a little hotter than even what was supposed to be the hotter of the 2 batches. I can understand why people go to the habaneros, the jalapenos and even the chili peppers can only make the salsa so hot, I put a ton in the 2nd batch for what I expected to be at my limit, only to find it medium intensity. If anyone has any other tricks or methods, please do share.

Latest posts