What are you canning now?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the turkey we're finishing off was about $5 total for 19lbs, but she did use a $2 off coupon too. :) after it being roasted in the oven and eating chunks of it we voted it a good ol' bird and decided it was excellent for a store brand turkey.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter-in-law saw them for $0.39 per pound so she got 4 of them. They've already eaten two.

i have no idea why Mom dislikes turkey soup. i used to buy small ones on sale after the holidays and make big pots of soup after picking off 2/3rds of the meat. best ones were smoked at least a little. if i didn't have access to a smoker i'd buy smoked turkey legs to throw in.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
not canning, but cooking and freezing is close enough. :) squash from this past summer/fall needs to be eaten or put up before they freeze out in the garage. this past batch was a mix of one Baby Blue Hubbard and about five Kabocha squash (some of them the cross-breeds with partial orange skins on them). the Kabochas roasted up a bit dry but the Hubbard was pretty moist so the combination and mashing them together came out perfect texturally. the flavor is excellent. absolutely no need for any kind of sweetener on this, just some butter as usual. really good. i think this would also work really well for a punkin pie filling. not likely to happen any time soon, but good to know.

one of my brothers will be happy with some of this so we'll put some more in the freezer for him. i much prefer to actually process and cook it here as that ways the worms and gardens get to keep all that nutrition from the skins, innards and seeds.

this being the goodie baking season we've made date nut bread, cracker crunch and cookies already and i've got plans for making some macaroons and some other cookies too.

that said we are not baking as much as normal this year. instead we ordered some fudge from the up north fudge shop we like to patronise so that saves Mom a lot of work and i'm ok with that. when putting in orders last week i broke their website with one order. we did get that straightened out but i thought it rather amusing (coming from a computer science background and also having plenty of experience in how to break things intentionally via testing :) ). i am almost guaranteed in any situation involving computers to figure out how to break something. normally i can also fix it, but this time i can't since it is their website/system and not my own... but at least now they know the issue exists and it is likely we'll do this again next year so i know it might be there and can work around it.

Last edited:

Chiknoodle

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Don't know if we have a thread like this one over here on the garden thread, but thought we should. Seems like a great place on BYC for folks to just chat about their current canning project and recipes they use, etc.

This past week I've been canning sweet corn, which we do in a steam canner instead of the pressure canner, which is a little different than most folks(we add acid with a thick slice of green mater at the top of the jar). Also canning hot pepper butter, slumgulleon(just a family name for throwing all the extra veggies into a skillet, cooking them down and thickening with cornmeal before using it as a sauce or gravy over something else), a small batch of green beans and some odds and ends of chickens that I've culled throughout the year and didn't get a chance to can with the larger batches of chicken.

Next week we'll probably can more sweet corn and then start moving into tomatoes. For tomatoes we'll just can up sauce, juice and diced tomatoes, as well as some salsa if I can access the right kind of tomatoes....mine were all pretty small this year and won't yield enough to do what I want.

Was discussing with the deer hunters in the family about really using more of the deer we harvest this year so that nothing goes to waste...more of the organs, more of the scraps of meat on the carcass that we would normally give to the dog, etc. I'd like to grind up the organ meat this year and maybe mix it with some pork sausage and spices to make a burger we will can up for use in spaghetti and other recipes calling for ground meats. The other meat we normally just cube and can as per normal, without grinding first.

Last year I cut up the carcass and boiled all the bones down in a huge stock pot and canned up that broth, picking all the meat from the bones and adding it to the broth as well. That makes a great soup base or gravy base later on. It's also a good way to get a lot more fat into the broth from the bone marrow that we wouldn't ordinarily get to glean.

Will add some pics here as we go along in our canning this year. Feel free to add to the thread with pics, recipes or just chat about what you are canning up throughout the year.
We’re canning some pickled jalapeños, pickled onions, and some tomatoes!!!:celebrate

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Took advantage of rain-cooled temperatures to make the first batch of pickled okra, hopefully the first of many (we are eating the last jar from 2021 now).
20210808_111048.jpg

Latest posts