What are you canning now?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone have a good way to preserve eggplant?
We grow & freeze the skinny Asian-style eggplant. We steam them whole - stem attached - until fully cooked. After cooling, we peel them, and freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet (parchment will make removal easier). Once frozen, we remove them from the cookie sheets & vacuum seal them in meal-sized portions. We freeze them stem-on because our favorite way of eating Asian eggplant is slit lengthwise, spread into a fan, battered, and fried... it is a really good finger food for our family gatherings.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We grow & freeze the skinny Asian-style eggplant. We steam them whole - stem attached - until fully cooked. After cooling, we peel them, and freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet (parchment will make removal easier). Once frozen, we remove them from the cookie sheets & vacuum seal them in meal-sized portions. We freeze them stem-on because our favorite way of eating Asian eggplant is slit lengthwise, spread into a fan, battered, and fried... it is a really good finger food for our family gatherings.
That sounds amazing!

I wonder if that would work with black beauty egg plants but cut in to strips and steaming? I'll have to try.

I made eggplant parmesan for dinner tonight and roasted the extra slices and put them in the freezer.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds amazing!

I wonder if that would work with black beauty egg plants but cut in to strips and steaming? I'll have to try.

I made eggplant parmesan for dinner tonight and roasted the extra slices and put them in the freezer.

babaganoush is made from roasted eggplant. not sure it can be made satisfactorily from frozen or not... but if someone were to make it i would be one person who would be willing to try it. :)

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
babaganoush is made from roasted eggplant. not sure it can be made satisfactorily from frozen or not... but if someone were to make it i would be one person who would be willing to try it. :)
I made a double batch last week and ate it all! It's like hummus but eggplants instead of garbanzo beans. I blended mine till it was pureed.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
We made the first batch of gherkin pickles last night. For those who like crunchy pickles, I can't recommend Liso Calcutta gherkins highly enough. They are sweet & super crunchy raw too. The Grandson is growing some in his little garden, and loves them.
20210812_200527.jpg 20210812_203837.jpg

20210813_124239.jpg

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Made 8 Q jars of Annie's salsa and 4 Q jars of tomato sauce .

Also made barbeque sauce using ball book recipe. It made 2 P and 12 jelly jars. This was all from today and I am tired.

For dinner I made bean and vegetable soup with gluten free coen bread that we topped with rhubarb barbecue sauce. It sounds weird but it's delicious lol.

Attachments

• 20210813_145343.jpg
    20210813_145343.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 90

Latest posts