What are you canning now?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beekissed, I think I was born to the wrong family. I should have been born in yours! lol Everythings sounds so lovely. I LOVE to read all your posts and wished I was there. :);)

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Miss Mary, you ever get over this way you'll have to come for a long visit! :hugs We'd love to have you! It's a simple life filled with purposeful work, peaceful hours and joy. Always a deep, abiding joy. :weee

I'm hoping to invite Mom's dance ladies out for a weenie roast and apple butter stir off when the apples ripen. Nothing like a clear blue sky, clouds so white they hurt your eyes, the smell of apples cooking down, good talk and then good things in a jar to send home with folks. On top of that, Mom's famous Coney Island hot dog sauce...a recipe she got in the 70s and we've been using ever since. :drool

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The city of White Plains has a fenced in lot, where they park city trucks. I pass this lot almost everyday. Planted against the fence are 4 apple trees. Why they planted apple trees no idea. In the fall no one picks the apples, so ground is covered in hundreds of apples all rotting, such a waste.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
NY, I see that all over town....old apple trees just loaded down with fruit and no one picking them or using them at all. We are a society that is too well kept and have no need to forage for food any longer....but we should. That could be used to feed people if the owner doesn't want it.

I placed an ad just this morning, asking for free apples that folks don't want or need in their yard. A lot of people hate having to mow over all that fallen and rotten fruit that just attracts yellow jackets and gnats. Could be someone will respond. If we use all we possibly can and can use no more, we can always keep it for the chickens, my dog and for the deer around here. That way, the apples are turned into other sources of food...well, except for the dog, but he guards the food animals, so the apples are still being used for that. :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a great option, IMO. I often wonder why more folks don't do that if they want things like apple butter, sauce or pie apples. All of that is easy to make right in a crockpot and then into a canner.

Too much work maybe?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The corn we bought this morning is so perfect I can't stop marveling over it! Picked fresh this morning, picked at the correct time for maximum sweetness but with kernels still small and crisp enough for wonderful texture, ears full clear down to the tip with perfect rows, large ears.

Can't say enough good about the quality of this sweet corn! It costs $36 for 116 ears of corn. That makes 28 qt. of corn, with each qt equal to~and even greater to~ the amount of corn found in 3 standard size cans of corn from the store~, but has 100% better taste and quality. So it works out to the amount of 84 cans of store bought corn for $36.

Not a bad savings at all and we'll be eating incredibly fresh and flavorful corn instead of that bland, over processed stuff from the store.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The corn we bought this morning is so perfect I can't stop marveling over it! Picked fresh this morning, picked at the correct time for maximum sweetness but with kernels still small and crisp enough for wonderful texture, ears full clear down to the tip with perfect rows, large ears.

Can't say enough good about the quality of this sweet corn! It costs $36 for 116 ears of corn. That makes 28 qt. of corn, with each qt equal to~and even greater to~ the amount of corn found in 3 standard size cans of corn from the store~, but has 100% better taste and quality. So it works out to the amount of 84 cans of store bought corn for $36.

Not a bad savings at all and we'll be eating incredibly fresh and flavorful corn instead of that bland, over processed stuff from the store.
YES ! :drool
A friend of my Dad had surplus sweet corn free for the picking. We froze about 3 dozen quart bags :celebrate

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
FREE????? Blessings pouring down on you, Miss Carol! :celebrate

Took canning pics this season, as I love all the colors and light contained in veggies, the jars and equipment involved in preserving the harvest.

LL

Cleaning up the various things in the garden here at the end of the season.

LL

LL

LL

Salsa!!!

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

Faulty seal, caused by a flawed canning ring. This jar was reopened, resealed and processed once again. These jars will seal and may even last like any other jar while on the shelf, but it's not worth trying to find that out.

Latest posts