Garden Master
Reaction score
12.2019 ground beef.jpg

Ground beef :)

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That hot pepper butter sounds good.
We put 40 quarts of corn in freezer. (I have had bad luck with canning in the past?) Thank goodness I have very large upright freezer.
That hot pepper butter looks just marvellous!! can you please post your recipe and instructions on how to make it.. thank you very much. I hope I'm not asking too much. :D

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Some pics of canning this season.....

900x900px-LL-71284015_100_3423.jpeg

The green in the jar is from a thick slice of green tomato.

900x900px-LL-a24cd5dd_100_3426.jpeg

Cleaned and waiting jars.....

900x900px-LL-429a431a_100_3427.jpeg

Slumgulleon, cooking down....

900x900px-LL-e9586770_100_3428.jpeg

Hot pepper butter, cooking down in the crockpot.
Those are Great!! picture perfect. looks like a peel-off from a magazine... I have a question... what do I need to put in with the green tomatoes when we jar them?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are Great!! picture perfect. looks like a peel-off from a magazine... I have a question... what do I need to put in with the green tomatoes when we jar them?

do you like pickles? i've never actually made pickled green tomatoes but i think that is what a lot of people do with them. some vinegar and a little salt and whatever spices you like. :) for high enough acidic things a boiling water bath canning process should be ok. just make sure you use enough vinegar or lemon juice to provide enough acid. the tomatoes will also have some acid in them (but that can vary by variety of tomatoes).

i would quarter the tomatoes at the least or perhaps sixths or eights (depending upon size of tomato).

onions are always good in pickles. a lot of people also use garlics.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score

We only add a tsp of salt and water. We usually can them up in thick slices, stacked up in the jar...this way you can roll them in flour and cornmeal and fry them when you get them out. You can use pickle crisp if you want them to retain some crispness. Boiling water bath/steam canning only...if you pressure can, they are mush.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That hot pepper butter sounds good.
We put 40 quarts of corn in freezer. (I have had bad luck with canning in the past?) Thank goodness I have very large upright freezer.
Good to hear that you have a freezer to use for your preserves... As for mine, I have grapes, corn, mangoes, corn is very good as a preserve good... I hope to hear from your crops soon...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to hear that you have a freezer to use for your preserves... As for mine, I have grapes, corn, mangoes, corn is very good as a preserve good... I hope to hear from your crops soon...
Crops are MONTHS away. So cold here. usually get potatoes in on Good Friday, peas shortly after that. Then make sure frost is done before setting out anything else/ May be June before we get anything to eat from the garden.

Latest posts