What are you canning now?

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It will be interesting to watch the panic if garden stores remain closed, due to being declared "non essential". :pop The farm & fleet stores will most likely be the big winners if that happens.

A friend mentioned to me yesterday nursery’s should be allowed to remain open as an essential mental health service for “us people.” I don’t quite see why they couldn’t run on a skeleton staff and allow online/phone orders for pickup. We could help keep a whole industry afloat and keep people busy at home.

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ALSO, this:
Is the lemon juice a new thing bc of keeping the product from going bad?

the lemon juice is to raise the acidity to an acceptable level for water bath canning. Vitally important for safety.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It will be interesting to watch the panic if garden stores remain closed, due to being declared "non essential". :pop The farm & fleet stores will most likely be the big winners if that happens.
A friend mentioned to me yesterday nursery’s should be allowed to remain open as an essential mental health service for “us people.” I don’t quite see why they couldn’t run on a skeleton staff and allow online/phone orders for pickup. We could help keep a whole industry afloat and keep people busy at home.

Nurseries/garden stores are considered essential, as long as they follow safe distancing guidelines. At least here in Texas they are. You can call, place your order, pay over the phone and they will load you up when you get there.

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nurseries/garden stores are considered essential, as long as they follow safe distancing guidelines. At least here in Texas they are. You can call, place your order, pay over the phone and they will load you up when you get there.

Thank you so much @henless ! Wisconsin where I live is under "stay-at-home" orders, but my friend is on the WA/OR border, I sent her this useful information. :weeeShe'll be very excited.

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here in Michigan our local nursery is closed. Hoping it opens in time since its a family owned business but we'll see. They were doing some curb side pick ups of seed potatoes, asparagus, and a few other things.

Hoping they can open up and get something of a season so they are not taking a big loss on things.

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Bought 14 birds whole for 99 cents a pound. No limit on them. They had whole birds and for a little more money you could buy whole bird pieces.

Everybody was buying the pre cut birds, and looked at the whole birds and passed on them. Sell by date was the 4/6 and nobody was buying them. So I pounced on them and filled my cart. Got more butter, fresh herbs, a big bag of celery, a big bag of carrots and a sack of onions, some garlic along with some dried spices and went home and started roasting chicken.

Today I skinned deboned what I didn't eat last night them. Did cubed breast and shredded chicken portioned out into 2-4 cup portions.

Bagged up all the bones, skin and fat and its in the freezer waiting to be made into stock next week. Gotta start rinsing pint jars and I'll be putting up a bunch more.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Right now chicken is one of the few things piling up in the grocery warehouses locally. They have dropped the prices and put it on lots of sales to move it before it expires. I rarely buy raw chicken from the store I work at because I know how hot the display cases get while they defrost. I do have a big roast beef I bought for a party that got cancelled in the freezer that I might dig out and can as stew meat the next rainy day.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ALSO, this:
Is the lemon juice a new thing bc of keeping the product from going bad?

i've never needed added acidifier or pectin in concord jam making, but that is because the usual recipe states to use some greener berries too as they have more pectin. it is tremendously tart. so much so that a lot of people don't like it but i did. it kept a long time before i ate it all up. i don't have a grape vine any longer and i sure do miss it. hard to find good concord grapes with the right mix of green and purple as the stores always carry them fully ripe. which i still like to eat fresh, but i don't make jam any more from them.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the local greenhouse is not open to the public. not sure what they will be doing once it gets warmer and more people want plants and starts for their gardens. i suspect it will be social distancing and facemasks. Mom is going to drop off some food for them in a few minutes and i asked her to ask them about extra plants for increased demand but i'm not sure she'll remember to ask them. only passing food through the door.

Latest posts