What are you canning now?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lots of pasta sauce and salsa! I have been using my tattler lids more this year and getting pretty good success. Had 3 failed seals put of 14 so I'll count that a win.

Tomorrow I need to harvest tomatillos and make more salsa verde.

Also need to start dehydrating basil and paprika peppers. I have to learn how to dehydrate paprika peppers lol.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
SO EXCITED!! I am pressure canning 14 pints of pork broth as I write!!!
That's the max for my pressure canner. There was also leftover 1/2 of a 1/2 pint, which goes to the dogs.
I cooked this broth starting last Friday until today (Tuesday). I used one pint of previously canned pork broth and a little water to cook down pork ribs last Friday. I start them boiling, then grill them with bbq sauce in my old crock pot. Then, I added a couple of bags of frozen rib bones, also added the rib bones after dinner, cooked with potato scrapings (from making scalloped potatoes for Friday's dinner,) and I asked DD to bring old vegetables from her fridge to add to it.
INCLUDED were two old sweet peppers, two cups of old radishes, and old onions.
Dogs helped me clean up all of the dirty dishes:
1) crock pot
2) two largest stainless steel mixing bowls
3) stainless steel colander
Less mess in the sink after they are thoroughly licked, after the used bones and used vegetables are thrown away.
I froze the bone from Sunday's chuck roast along with cut off ends of the green (purple) beans that we had with the meal AND the potato scrapings from making mashed potatoes on Sunday.
I am REALLY cutting my pressure canning teeth making broth. If I lose the broth..oh, well.
Losing a batch of chili would be pretty bad.
Canning broth is becoming an Obssession!

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Off of the burner now. I am about to do a dirty job cleaning the basement floor, so I'm stalling.
I heard the canner lose all pressure. Still, I won't remove the lid or the jars until tomorrow morning, don't need the stove today bc we are eating at DD's house.
No more pressure canning until DH and DD's go to CO. TOO MANY COMPLAINTS about the broth(s) being smelly, so it'll just be ME and my chicken bones, and beef bones for broth canning end of the month.
Ya know, I watered down this broth and it's STILL really dark. (Leftovers)

Attachments

• Leftover from pork broth canning, 08-09-22.jpg
    Leftover from pork broth canning, 08-09-22.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 68

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been roasting and freezing my tomatoes and jalapenos. Once I have enough or am in the mood I'll start canning it for salsa. Been finding free canning jars here and there on FB free groups. Today I also found lots of spices, some canning jars, and a glass 6" pie pan that I have been wanting. Person was moving.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wash my jars after they cool off. Unscrew the ring and use a washcloth in warm soapy water. I'm not afraid to scrub the threads with that cloth. I know the lid is on tight and the jar is clean for storage. I've never taken a lid off washing them I wasn't suspicious of to start with. If a lid came off later like yours did I'd know it had leaked.
I thought I was the only one who wanted to do this. This morning I washed ALL of my 14 pork broth pints. I have them staged on the dining room table for DH to finish labeling, then they will be boxed up and the box labelled and stored in the pantry.

Attachments

• Pork Broth, 08-09-22.jpg
    Pork Broth, 08-09-22.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 85

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fig jam! A friend gifted us some ripe figs from her tree and I made balsamic fig jam and it is divine! Recipe is from pomonas universal pectin.

I also made and canned BBQ sauce called Sombrero which has jalapino. Really good! Recipe from ball book.

And I am roasting 22quart worth of tomatoes at a time to turn in to more pasta sauce.

I think my tomato plants are trying to kill me 😆🤣. I am feeling so blessed with the abundance of tomato harvest!

Attachments

• 20220808_141946.jpg
    20220808_141946.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts