What are you canning?

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If I was making it to gift I would definitely strain better. When I give someone jam or jelly I always look for the prettiest looking.

Every time someone says they don't care for strawberry preserves and then taste mine they always want a jar (or two). I don't think it's because mine is better than anyone else but because it's not the sugar water taste of commercial jelly.

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No canning today... although I did sliced & blanched a 5 gallon bucket of potatoes before putting them in the dehydrator. I got to try out the ripple blade on my new mandolin slicer in the process.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Pickled beets!!! :weee
I had to buy more vinegar this week in preparation, and nobody had AC vinegar, so I thought a high quality white distilled would do. Check the recipe and it Calls for white vinegar, so that was good.
I harvested over 20 pounds of beets:
Beets, 20 lb harvest, 08-04-17.JPG

It took 5 pots to simmer them down and then my biggest bowl:
Beets, peeled, 08-04-17.JPG

The coffee maker is there to show you the softball sized beets. I didn't mean to let them get so large, but time crunches AND extra rain contributed.
Beets, rejects for chickebns, 08-04-17.JPG

I lost 6 from the harvest. 2 were mushy and went to the chickens. Two were eaten (quality control) and two were consumed with our steaks last night. All told, I ended up with 11 1/2 quarts and I got it done in ONE day! :love
Beets, 11 and half quarts, 08-04-17.JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also harvested carrots, but they are now in the fridge until I get the time this weekend to process. This was my first PLANNED attempt to grow carrots. I never thinned them out and several were very small. Still I consider it a success and I plan to replant today before tonight's rain, just like I will be replanting beets as well.
Carrots , 08-04-17.JPG

I separated them and left the tiniest ones in the mass of greens, which were fed to the horses last night.
Carrots separated from tops, 08-04-17.JPG

One of the carrots was flowering and I discovered a swallowtail caterpiller, but I didn't have my camera.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I was making it to gift I would definitely strain better. When I give someone jam or jelly I always look for the prettiest looking.

Every time someone says they don't care for strawberry preserves and then taste mine they always want a jar (or two). I don't think it's because mine is better than anyone else but because it's not the sugar water taste of commercial jelly.
Those make the nicest gifts!! :D

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh my those beets are going to be so good. :drool

I saw on YouTube canning carrots with a spoonful of dry onion soup mix. Has anyone tried that. It sounds good. If I get a good price on carrots I might try a canner full. I usually cook my carrots candied though but this would taste like ones in pot roast possibly(?).

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the carrots would be worth a try.

I tried something for the first time today, Purple Hull Jelly. I made a tea from the pods of purple hull peas and made jelly, using a recipe I found online from Kraft. I think it turned out pretty good. I'm kind of undecided on what it tastes like, it's supposed to taste like grape but my wife thought more like honey.

Purple Hull.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner , when I first ventured onto the internet an "important" knowledge I was looking for was how to make wine from garden produce.

I'd been through several stages, I guess beginning with using fruits other than grapes. After a few more years exploring the garden wine idea, I essentially gave up.

About the most ardent wine makers using something from their gardens were people making pea pod wine. I found the entire idea rather horrible! I never tried it despite having lots of peas some years. Maybe you should give it a whirl ... recipe

:) Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I once made dandelion wine. It turned out pretty good, but that was probably my only excursion I'll ever make into wine making. Once was enough, I can do it. After tasting that jelly I can see where pea pods could make a good wine.

Latest posts