What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Dahlia , I guess that I have had the wrong oregano in my garden, just about forever. Having pizza in a restaurant or buying it take and bake is okay and they almost surely have oregano. Anywhere I can use my basil, that is what I prefer. Walked by the Thai basil that has now "gotten away from us" and noticing it flowering - the fragrance of 4 big plants in bloom just about floored me - heavenly.

That reminds me! @heirloomgal said that Opal basil disappointed her. We knew a guy for years who claimed that Opal was the best basil for drying. Not growing it all for him, I had Opal with the ornamentals in the front yard. A very appreciated annual plant.

View attachment 43329
There are plenty of tomatoes for my tomato soup, tomorrow. They aren't up to usual performance but some are ripening :).

Steve

if Thai basil survives your winter and reseeds itself it might be something i'd like here in a few strategic places eventually. thanks for the mention. :)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Dahlia , I guess that I have had the wrong oregano in my garden, just about forever. Having pizza in a restaurant or buying it take and bake is okay and they almost surely have oregano. Anywhere I can use my basil, that is what I prefer. Walked by the Thai basil that has now "gotten away from us" and noticing it flowering - the fragrance of 4 big plants in bloom just about floored me - heavenly.

That reminds me! @heirloomgal said that Opal basil disappointed her. We knew a guy for years who claimed that Opal was the best basil for drying. Not growing it all for him, I had Opal with the ornamentals in the front yard. A very appreciated annual plant.

View attachment 43329
There are plenty of tomatoes for my tomato soup, tomorrow. They aren't up to usual performance but some are ripening :).

Steve
DigitS,
Try putting lots of fresh chopped basil leaves on your pizza! So great! The other recipe I love to use fresh basil in is homemade pesto.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are eating everything from the garden.

Having made such a positive statement, I'll now back away from it ;). Some of the early greens have been pulled. Maybe the chives and walking onions would be okay but the shallots and garlic are harvested and available, along with green onions and sweet. I stopped eating beet thinnings weeks ago but the roots are bulking up.

With the other half in the fridge, we have eaten half of a winter squash. Trust yourself, you can recognize a mature winter squash even if the plant hasn't been touched by frost and is on its way out. The flavor will be nearly as good as one properly cured, during winter weeks ;).

Sweet corn and green beans, edamame but, yes, the peas are just a memory. Plenty of summer greens ...

The peppers and eggplant are coming off by the basket full! Okay, they are side by side so the basket has both ;). Sooo many melons. What an abundance! My thought that they would play out quickly was only because I am not the one venturing into the vines -- I'm the one carrying the buckets back to the truck.

And peaches. The little tree here at home was unburdened of a load of fruit. We really should have thinned them but parsimony may have still meant that the poor little tree would have been carrying the same weight, just larger fruit. Two of the smaller branches broke. I had 5 poles under the branches for weeks. The tree had problems and it's sister tree in the backyard had a similar harvest several years ago, never again matched until it's health effected what little fruit it produced and I took it out. Oh well, this is really pushing the northern range for peaches and if we were sensible, it would be apricots or French plums or apples from a tree in the corner of our postage stamp front or back yard.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i buried pea plants the other day that were still blooming and putting on fresh pods. i just needed to get that garden done while i had a break in everything else - so under they went and the wormies get to feast.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
red peppers finally started to ripen up plus i picked five melons. already cut up the melons and have those cooling in the fridge, the peppers i ate a small one.

i took pictures. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Something old, a very home style dish we had from our childhood, carrot, eggs, and scallion.
32009.jpg

Something new, just stir-fry the sliced zucchini, yummy

32008.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman when have you been planting peas to have them come in this late? for fresh eating peas here i plant them early to mid-April and they're mostly done a month ago. the seeds can take a bit longer to dry down, but as i've found out i now have to protect them more dilligently from the chippies.

last night as i was cutting up and heating up the tomato chunks i was snacking on bits of tomato here or there. :) and part of a red pepper i cut up. those were my evening snack.

for a part of my supper earlier i made a home-made bread and tomato juice pudding. which is simple, well toasted bread, plenty of butter and then pour the tomato juice over that, just enough to get most of the bread soggy, but also enough not soggy so there is some some crunchy edges here or there. warm it all up. this is certainly not a hot summer food, but with the cooler weather it was something i was hungry for to go along with the rest of my supper.

Latest posts