What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 28065 Lovely red potatoes for dinner tonight. And Georgia jet sweet potatoes ready to eat on August 20th. We may have hated the blistering heat and humidity but apparently sweets like it. Still not too big but big enough to eat.

@catjac1975 i've heard about getting larger sweet patatoes in the north by making sure only the central clump is allowed to root. i've never grown them here because of the clay so i'm only speaking of hearsay and secondhand info... they look delicious anyways, i love a good sweet potato... and taterpie too...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 i've heard about getting larger sweet patatoes in the north by making sure only the central clump is allowed to root. i've never grown them here because of the clay so i'm only speaking of hearsay and secondhand info... they look delicious anyways, i love a good sweet potato... and taterpie too...
The ones I harvested were quite large for this time of the year. I keep them in the ground until the first chance of a freeze which is mid to late october. They then get really big-sometimes too big. It has taken time but I have finally gotten the hang of it. There are only a few types that do well in the north. I started using weed cloth barrier last year and it made it so much easier and better. Weeding sweet potatoes is a nightmare . You have to had pull because of the vining. With the weed barrier it it so much easier, it keeps in the moisture, and seems to help them grow by keeping the heat in the earlier months. My problem has been with the curing but I'm getting better at it. Last year I had some rodent damage. It was not obvious because of the weed barrier. We are using those noise makers that pulsate that is supposed to be a deterrent to rodents. We will see if they work. My husband thinks that is why we haven't seen any woodchucks this year. I think we haven't seen them because of the poison I put down their many holes.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, let me know if those noise makers work.

Mary
Well so far no rodent damage....but does that really mean they work? And as per the usual with my husband he bought the cheap version of what we were looking at.They are solar and have been working since spring....actually out of 4 I think 2 are working.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We going be eating these eckerts pink polish today in a blt
167BFFE7-F293-4281-9B03-D0889B51087C.jpeg
DC707F71-5BD4-4528-8F2A-848C13828FDB.jpeg

The PPs have good size here. Also we have been canning some pickles and such
D87718EC-2179-4EDC-94B9-91F54AD5ED07.jpeg

This was the last batch we canned. Also trying out a sour croute recipe
E721EB68-2466-4412-9E53-5B7CF1A1B84E.jpeg

Also been making @w_r_ranch roasted spaghetti sauce we have made and froze two batches so far, about 14 quarts. More tomatoes coming everyday now so will be getting more food stashed coming up.thomas likes to help.
B669797D-C7C2-4B63-8D29-25AB3C719695.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peas!

... of the Snap variety.

They followed the potato harvest in late July. The vines are still alive after morning temperatures in the thirties and the recent one in the twenties. Still tender but that won't last ... until they are too tender and dead. It doesn't work real well to plant the seed in the hottest week of the year but it works! We have had the tendrils several times (I like to harvest with the flowers) but there are now nice pods.

:D Steve