What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will need to pull the veggies out of the clamp in the garden. The ground around it has thawed and the temporary hoop house will be going up, soon.

We managed to go through the veggies in the fridge and in 2 coolers on the deck up until about 10 days ago. Here I'd gone ahead and put in a board walkway so that I could get out there in the mud and even the celeriac has lasted until last weekend's pot of soup.

It wasn't much fun carrying the coolers out and back into the utility room during cold weather but it beat shoveling a path to the pit, dismantling it (temporarily), and having to wash dirt off of carrots and parsnips in the dead of winter. Coolers work surprisingly well but ya gotta pay attention to temperatures ;).

Steve
still with potatoes, onions and squash in basement

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another artisan bread loaf. This one is made with zucchini and yellow squash powder :).

Last year I dehydrated lots of summer squash chips thinking I will eat them. But there are just so many zucchini chips one person can eat!
So, while i was dreading throwing all my hard work in the compost I saw a post that said you can make bread with zucchini flour!
I made this bread using a typical recipe but added some zucchini flour to the total flour needed.
The dough is a bit stickier but this recipe requires no kneading so it works great!
The taste?
No one can taste the zucchini and the bread is soft and delicous!

I also made english muffins and dinner rolls and they both turned out great!

Finding ways to use the stored food is a challenge sometimes but its a skill I want to learn.

Attachments

• 20220325_095854.jpg
    20220325_095854.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220325_095826.jpg
    20220325_095826.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 70

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another artisan bread loaf. This one is made with zucchini and yellow squash powder :).

Last year I dehydrated lots of summer squash chips thinking I will eat them. But there are just so many zucchini chips one person can eat!
So, while i was dreading throwing all my hard work in the compost I saw a post that said you can make bread with zucchini flour!
I made this bread using a typical recipe but added some zucchini flour to the total flour needed.
The dough is a bit stickier but this recipe requires no kneading so it works great!
The taste?
No one can taste the zucchini and the bread is soft and delicous!

I also made english muffins and dinner rolls and they both turned out great!

Finding ways to use the stored food is a challenge sometimes but its a skill I want to learn.
Your homemade bread looks wonderful!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't make the freezer kraut in 2021. Not growing a "keeper" cabbage while growing a cut-&-come-again cabbage was something of a new experience. We had a long season with the little heads of Tiara. Then, it turned out to be okay as a keeper - lasting well into the fall. I know that we will have Tiara again and will just have to adjust ;).

For lunch today, it will be kale out from under the hoop house plastic. The covering just kicked it into gear, after looking nearly dead by March. In fact, several of the kale plants were dead. I think that it might have been over-harvesting during late autumn and location. Those were right beside the boards of the excavated center path. That probably meant that the roots of the poor, overused things had some very cold temperatures.

A neighbor has Dinosaur kale that survives but the plants are very large by winter since he doesn't make much use of them. It should be noted that my Portuguese kale is the first to die in the cold, which is disappointing to me but isn't a deterrent to growing it each year :).

Steve

Latest posts