What are You Eating from the Garden?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pea shoots (now is the best time to harvest pea shoots in my garden), fava bean tips(so aphids won't be so interested in them), salad greens, and Ethiopian mustard.
4370.jpg

At the same time, chickens have many outer leaves to eat.
4369.jpg

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Escarole ..

. from the hoop house. The slugs left us some bok choy. Of course, there are transplants in there now that the slugs appear to be gone, transplants in the big veggie garden and transplants around the stump in the backyard :).

The broccoli raab is beginning to flower in there but it's very usable so that's okay.

Steve
PS: A thought about NyBoy whenever the idea of escarole comes to my mind :rainbowflower

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Phaedra Geiermann , it seems so surprising to me that you are harvesting a summer squash with that snow storm so recent! Admit it - You pampered Them.

For lunch here, it's a comparison of escarole and Italian dandelion from out of the hoophouse (now back to being in the open and ordinary garden beds). Almost indistinguishable differences in flavor. DW says, "They taste the same!"

The texture favors the escarole, perhaps only because the leaves are larger and so the stem is proportionately less. I will be curious how the dandelion holds up to Summer heat and dryness. Escarole only has a few weeks advantage over something like bok choy but it does have an advantage.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
strawberries, beans (baked beans this time around), green onions, tomatoes (canned), squash, garlic and dill.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Easy is the way for me, @seedcorn . Those cookbooks for "5 ingredient recipes," those were written with me in mind ;).

If they are tall plants, you might not be growing what is called a Shanghai bok choy. Those are sometimes listed as "baby bok choy" altho there are even smaller varieties. You may want to cut some of the stem away.

I use bok choy in frittata and quiches. What? You are thinking that those are basically the same -- sure. And, a quiche is especially easy if you have your wife make the crust like I do, in the interest of having it not come out as hard as board - as a crust of mine might.

About 99% or more of our bok choy is used in stir-fries or noodles. The noodles can be as simple as a package of ramen or cup-of-soup. Be careful with the flavor packet.

Stir-fry can be as easy as a couple pieces of bacon fried crisp and removed from the pan. Then, in goes the cut-up bok choy with some sliced green onions. It's also easy to swap the bacon out for most any meat and use a little oil. A good way to add a nice consistency is to have a cup of broth mixed with a spoonful of cornstarch to add. Soy sauce. Other veggies to add like garlic and sliced mushrooms, sweet peppers, carrots, and celery ... Cook the meat and those veggies and then pour in the broth with the starch to thicken it a bit. Serve over rice.

Steve :)

Latest posts