What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will start with the barely believable:

2DCC7963-85CA-4501-9370-65C2CD55E5F3.jpeg
Bean & Beef soup with Carrots, Parsnips & Celery Root

The bean mix is from the soopermarket (where am i, so far behind our bean growers?). The Carrots, Parsnips & Celery Root (Celeriac) are from the 2021 garden. How is it possible!

They were in a clamp in one of the backyard beds. Dug out before the temporary hoop house went over the top of the bed about the 1st of April, the roots were cleaned and put on the deck in coolers until the chance of hard frost ended. They replaced the Carrots, Parsnips & Celery Root that had been in those coolers ALL WINTER. (It's difficult to maintain the all-winter approach and I don't recommend it for people who take Winter vacations. Things in those coolers will freeze so they have to be brought into the utility room most Winter nights and some Winter days. Lots of handling and the utility room is too warm for them to be indoors very long but more roots than could possibly fit the kitchen fridge.)

We also have a big fridge in the carport. Absolutely the wrong place for anything you don't want to freeze during the winter but it was turned back on in May and in went the roots! Le Violà! Bean & Beef Soup ;)

AND, we had our first harvest of Baby Beets from the Big Veggie Garden. That is the way I like beets, just about my favorite vegetable (@Cosmo spring garden )! The leaves are so tender and the roots just add flavor.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
about an hour ago a single strawberry, in a while we'll have some bean burritoeses... i don't remember what i had for breakfast, i think it was a glass of water and a handful of peanuts - those didn't come from the gardens.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am very happy to find out that broad beans can be eaten with the husks. I am okay with the matured beans, but the percentage of the waste is too high. Now I can start harvesting most of them, using them as healthy snacks, and releasing the space of raised beds for succession plants.
5681.jpg

Delicious! So, earlier I enjoyed their young shoots as leafy greens, now pods, later beans.
5682.jpg

The stems and leaves are perfect materials for filling my new raised beds, too.
5684.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A truckload of salads, (including radish pods, snow peas, arugula), hot peppers for corn chips and bean burgers. Finally starting to put a big dent in the herbs; the basil's, cilantro, and the papalo. I didn't grow ' em but made my first blueberry pancakes this morning after picking berries yesterday.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tons of field beans - they are much smaller than broad beans, but not much difference when you cook them.
5515.jpg

The field beans are smaller, but look at them, the total volume isn't less than broad beans. They produce a lot of helpful stuff - younger leaves for the chickens and the leftover for the green manure or compost. I also left the roots in the soil.
5539.jpg

5512.jpg

5513.jpg

Latest posts