Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Veggies for this weekend
P_20230610_095443_1.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you like the flavor of the Silvery Firs?
We did a little taste test, comparing the Silvery Fir and the Doukhobor tomato and when enjoyed side by side the Silvery Fir had a much brighter and balanced taste than the Doukhobor. Each had a beautiful deep red flesh. There is a Kalinka coming ripe soon, so we will try comparing the three varieties next. And dang-- I just remembered that I was going to save seeds from them, yet once again we ate the whole thing. I am seriously out of the habit here; not used to picking tomatoes this early in the season.

Our shelling peas are all ripening at once, so it is getting harder and harder to get stuff done in the garden because I am spending a lot of time hanging around the pea patch!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_0600.jpeg
Cabbage rolls. Grated carrots are from store-bought but garlic, scallions (immature Walla Walla), cilantro, garlic are from the garden. Ground meat and rice vermicelli, egg ... mushed together -- that's the stuffing :).

Tiara cabbage. I'm sold on the variety if its 3rd season in the garden is as good as its first. Last year, we had the same early harvest but the return for seconds wasn't as good as in the first year. I blame its 2022 location in a too exposed bed that put too much stress on the little cabbage plants.

You see, a second harvest of small heads not much bigger than Brussels sprouts is very possible. A little clean up work might be needed. The plants may try to make 6 or 8 little heads but then fail. Prune off those extras and 4 or 5 is an easy possibility :). Can't make cabbage rolls with those but the non-Tiara standard types will be along by then and there will be that choice in the kitchen.

Steve, who hasn't much interest in Brussels sprouts despite being a brassica fan

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
16871294213623144040913380926055.jpg

I need a scoop and stuff recipe fast or she tosses the big ones. Thank you in advance!

These are new Burpee hybrids. The plants remind me of a courgette. I kinda like the smooth skins of the old school yellow squash.

Anyway they have really soft skin though they do not look it and their seed is very tiny and probably not viable but this is my first year with this type.

Last edited:

Latest posts