What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled an early garlic and we used it in a roast yesterday.
I THINK they need more time, a little smaller than I expeceted, BUT, it was lucious anyway!

things are slow and smaller here this year so far due to heat and lack of rains. the garlic has some scapes forming now. it hasn't really started to die back yet.

i took some pictures the other day of garlic i had in storage (wrapped in a towel). some scapes and cloves. considering it is from last year it looks pretty good.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We harvested a few garlic bulbs a couple of weeks ago and more this week. Those are bunched and hanging in the carport.

Today - cucumbers. Beit Alpha Munchers! They are a favorite. And, the first snap peas. Other than munching on a few in the garden, this was a first harvest. The days in the 90's may have been a little harder on them than the shell peas, altho both suffered.

The big veggie garden is looking okay with Marty the Marmot staying the Heck out of It! Even the severely damaged broccoli looks to be producing heads. They may be especially small but sometimes it is the severely hot weather that slams the broccoli and yet, the plants can come back in late Summer and produce side buds in good abundance. We will see what these new-to-me Gypsy Broccoli plants are capable of. A couple of seed companies note its "strong" root system. Okay. After Marty ripped up their leaves, they are in need of strong roots to make a comeback.

Steve
Oh! And, the spuds from one Red LaSoda potato plants went with the shell peas last night!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Teeny okra harvest. But it was yummy.
20230701_134807.jpg
20230701_141649.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For a long time I have been wanting to test a method that I thought up for preparing meat, and the other night we finally had a chance to give it a go. We used a spice rub on chicken thighs, letting it sit in the fridge all day. After that the chicken was grilled briefly for about 5 minutes per side to impart a nice barbecue flavour.

To finish we put the browned chicken in a covered braising dish with onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, and garlic scapes (the garlic and scapes were from the garden) and the whole thing was popped in the oven to bake for a while. We basted the meat and veggies once, and we removed the lid and broiled it a bit at the end--but didn't do much other than that. The dish was really easy to prepare, and turned out well. The chicken was moist and the pan juices were very tasty. Leftovers were very good the next day too.

This is definitely a technique that we will try again with other meats. It's a great way to add some grilled flavour!

Attachments

• IMG_20230629_185045162.jpg
    IMG_20230629_185045162.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been enjoying cucumbers and now some turnip. Usually, we would have peas and green beans but due to early heat and drought conditions we won't get peas. Maybe with the 1.25-inch rain today there will be a few green beans later.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
beans and peas are ready to be gone through and picked. in both cases it looks like Thursday morning will be the day for that.

Latest posts