What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is something that I didn't really know until a year or two ago: cilantro roots are edible. They become coarse as the plant grows but if the plants are tiny, take the time to chop the roots. Lots of flavor there!

Steve

coriander :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 29372 View attachment 29373 1 rumbo squash/pumpkin will make 3 lovely pumpkin pies. They are delicious roasted as a vegetable. And what spectacular color.
CAT_5313.jpg
Here is my deep dish, fresh Rumbo from the garden, pumpkin pie. Also made a spelt flour pumpkin bread which my husband and I enjoyed a slice of last night. I think the bread was the best I ever made-a new recipe. I am bringing the pie to may sister's house in Connecticut today to share with family. It is going to be 3 degrees with wind chill today. Very unusual temps. I think a new record. It was 40 yesterday and will be 40 tomorrow. Have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving day.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think anything out of the kitchen compared with having 100 year-old Dad with us for Thanksgiving.

However, my pumpkin pie filling made with Kabocha squash was probably the best ever! I've grown Cha Cha squash before but don't remember using it in a pie. Cha Cha grows well for me and there were several other Kabochas that didn't mature properly. Nearly always, in recent years, I've used Buttercup in the Libby's recipe.

There are Autumn Crown squash on the shelves downstairs. They are the same species with a smaller size as @catjac1975 's Rumbo. I'm not saving them specifically for pie but I really want to see how well they do on those shelves through winter. I'm optimistic!

Steve
https://blogs.loc.gov/inside_adams/2017/11/a-brief-history-of-pumpkin-pie-in-america/

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think anything out of the kitchen compared with having 100 year-old Dad with us for Thanksgiving.

However, my pumpkin pie filling made with Kabocha squash was probably the best ever! I've grown Cha Cha squash before but don't remember using it in a pie. Cha Cha grows well for me and there were several other Kabochas that didn't mature properly. Nearly always, in recent years, I've used Buttercup in the Libby's recipe.

There are Autumn Crown squash on the shelves downstairs. They are the same species with a smaller size as @catjac1975 's Rumbo. I'm not saving them specifically for pie but I really want to see how well they do on those shelves through winter. I'm optimistic!

Steve
https://blogs.loc.gov/inside_adams/2017/11/a-brief-history-of-pumpkin-pie-in-america/

That's very nice that your dad shared Thanksgiving with you. 100! That's really something.
I enjoyed that pumpkin pie article.
This quote was the best I think -
"Typical of early charity cookbooks, there’s no hand-holding offered to the reader of this recipe, nor details on the crust, the oven temperature, or the steps in preparation, as it was assumed that the cook would know how to go about the project."

What a difference to today's recipes!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something that prompted this post in the garden humor thread :):

Oh Good Grief.

It won't be vegetables bringing down Western Civilization!

It will be the misdirected sufferance of the scofflaw while ignoring the virtues the red-blue colorblind ...

Steve :)

Thanksgiving morning, I was driving with Dad down a little country road doing a respectable 50 on wet asphalt.

A black 4wd pickup shot past us on the left. Dad does his little "bye-bye" wave thru our windshield.

Seconds later, another vehicle with insignia on the side door flashed by! The red and blue lights came on and the idiot in the black pickup pulled off on the shoulder. We drove by as the deputy sheriff stepped out of his car.

Steve
garden salad and Italian dressing with dinner :)

Last edited:

Latest posts