What are You Eating from the Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Afraid it would be. Afraid the rats and tree rats will get to ears before you.... I will hope for the best for you. You really need to eat an excellent variety fresh off of stalk-non boiled....nuke it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... an excellent variety fresh off of stalk-non boiled....nuke it.
Nuke It!? :eek:? I would not have thought of that.

We commonly steam sweet corn. Boiling was the practice in my childhood home. I have done that if a couple ears are to be part of a quick, summer lunch.

My silicone veggie steamer for the microwave should work. I'll try that!

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
We either do it in a pyrex (3+ ears) or wrap in cellophane for an ear. Nuke it, let it cool a little, eat with butter. When I see boiled sweet corn-way folks did it-I pass......

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We either do it in a pyrex (3+ ears) or wrap in cellophane for an ear. Nuke it, let it cool a little, eat with butter. When I see boiled sweet corn-way folks did it-I pass......

just cut the silk end off a little and nuke it right in the husks. no need to wrap it in plastic! the husks make for a handy way to hold them when they're still hot.

p.s. the green silk is edible and tastes good to me.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don’t like texture, taste of silks. I know those that do nuke in husks. We leave husks, silk in garden to decompose.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don’t like texture, taste of silks. I know those that do nuke in husks. We leave husks, silk in garden to decompose.

the husks, silks, cobs here are buried in the gardens or put through the worm bins. i don't waste any organic matter if i can help it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
20190528_075522(1).jpg

Harvested enough rhubarb to freeze for winter crisps and pies.