What are You Eating from the Garden?

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been throwing peppers in everything at this stage, i have jalapenos and hot peppers coming out of my ears. we also have an assortment of tomatoes, but i am super sensitive to eating them raw, and have to have them cooked to avoid the hives. i am thinking we will be having spaghetti tomorrow

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm having my summertime tomato soup for lunch, @Prairie Rose . Pasta and cheese, it could almost be a spaghetti sauce ;). Suites me just fine.

I may prefer tomatoes cooked, I'm not sure. Like a tomato "garden fresh" ... fresh and cooked, especially good.

@flowerbug are you talking about the stir fry ingredient? It's my understanding that any variety can be used for those extremely immature ears for eating, cob and all. There must be those that are more suitable but I haven't tried them, nor have I harvested baby corn.

What I have observed here where raccoon pressure isn't extreme -- is that the corn patch is not varmint-attacked until it's mature. I mean, quite mature. I have had very little racoon problems but have noticed that the neighbor leaves ears on the plants beyond the good for sweet corn stage. Mostly, I think that he just has too many coming on, at once.

Every year, he has broken stalks and torn-up ears. Also, I don't think the critters are confining themselves to the older plants. It may be that they are attracted over there then, harvest what they want.

Now, raccoons don't seem to be in abundance, here. And, corn is not much of a local, commercial crop with many acres planted. Things could well be different if it was.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm having my summertime tomato soup for lunch, @Prairie Rose . Pasta and cheese, it could almost be a spaghetti sauce ;). Suites me just fine.

I may prefer tomatoes cooked, I'm not sure. Like a tomato "garden fresh" ... fresh and cooked, especially good.

@flowerbug are you talking about the stir fry ingredient? It's my understanding that any variety can be used for those extremely immature ears for eating, cob and all. There must be those that are more suitable but I haven't tried them, nor have I harvested baby corn.

What I have observed here where raccoon pressure isn't extreme -- is that the corn patch is not varmint-attacked until it's mature. I mean, quite mature. I have had very little racoon problems but have noticed that the neighbor leaves ears on the plants beyond the good for sweet corn stage. Mostly, I think that he just has too many coming on, at once.

Every year, he has broken stalks and torn-up ears. Also, I don't think the critters are confining themselves to the older plants. It may be that they are attracted over there then, harvest what they want.

Now, raccoons don't seem to be in abundance, here. And, corn is not much of a local, commercial crop with many acres planted. Things could well be different if it was.

Steve

i like tomatoes about any way and used to eat many pounds of them each week. a fresh red tomato from the garden is so good as it is we've made many meals out of them.

small corn i've never tried to grow. i was just curious if anyone else had done this or not.

the more arid an area and the more open it is the less you will have raccoons. they are heavily populated around here because it is a mixed wooded and open area and we have a lot of water/ditches for them to play in. when i was trapping them to relocate i could catch one pretty much every night for weeks on end and then still catch groundhogs in the early morning or early evening. it was just too much to bother with.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Swimming in Cucumbers, starting to give them away, no time to can pickles right now! Harvested one quart of green/purple beans. In 2020 I will plant ONLY the purple ones bc they are easier to spot. Cherry tomatoes are ripening, beefsteak tomatoes are few but getting big, still green, and I don't eat green ones.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sugar snap peas and Sugar Magnolia peas are starting to come on. Pretty good since I planted late and this is August, not exactly when you think you'll be eating peas.

The Latah tomatoes are getting ripe, but are wildly variant in their size, from cherry to saladette. The Sun Sugars are rather disappointing so far. I may have picked 10, but there are many green ones so it can still redeem itself. My purple beans are loaded with blooms and when they start producing we'll be eating them 3x a day. At least that's what i tell my husband the green bean lover.
The Painted Mtn. corn is tasseling and fortunately the sweet corn I planted a couple weeks later is not. I was hoping it would work out like that.

My little Sugarpot (?) watermelons are blooming, but I am skeptical of getting a ripe melon this late. This is the first time I've planted them so next year I will try to get them going a lot earlier with black plastic and frost cloth.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
How did you decide on that variety, Thistle'?

There are some other U of I releases, from long ago.

Steve

I wish I could remember. Probably because they are an early ripener.
I planted them last year and they did well for me.
And of course it's bettah Latah than nevah.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom I'm pleased that some of those varieties have maintained some popularity and seed companies like Sand Hill carry them. I also remember growing a few others like Benewah.

If you do a search for:
"ultra early" tomato Boe site:edu you will find a 2 page pdf that compares growth and fruit of some of Dr. Boe's tomatoes.

Latah is also a psychological condition. I knew that before I moved to that Idaho county, way back when. Howsomeever, the county name is from the waterway and an Indian word for "little fish." Bettah stop.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom I'm pleased that some of those varieties have maintained some popularity and seed companies like Sand Hill carry them. I also remember growing a few others like Benewah.

If you do a search for:
"ultra early" tomato Boe site:edu you will find a 2 page pdf that compares growth and fruit of some of Dr. Boe's tomatoes.

Latah is also a psychological condition. I knew that before I moved to that Idaho county, way back when. Howsomeever, the county name is from the waterway and an Indian word for "little fish." Bettah stop.

Steve

I may have ordered them from Snake River Seeds. No resemblance to little fish, and since they are ripe before any others here in my garden they should be called Soonah. I'm aware of that psychological condition you mentioned, not sure how it's connected to tomatoes. But the Idaho connection probably influenced me.

Latest posts