What are You Eating from the Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My butternuts are not keeping. Anyone else having that problem?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curious as to what the Deep South/Southern Hemisphere gardeners are eating 🤔 .

Since you asked. Spinach, lettuce, turnips and turnip greens, chard, mustard greens, collard greens, broccoli, and kale. I finally finished off the radishes. Beets are starting to head up, carrots still have a ways to go. There is a head of cabbage ready. I tied the leaves on the cauliflower a few days ago to blanch it, it has started to head up. My wife has plans for that at Christmas if the timing works out.

Today will be in the 60's, the two following days in the 70's. It might frost a couple of mornings next week. This stuff is still growing. Eventually it should cool off enough that it stops growing. It will probably remain alive and usable but stop replacing itself. That hasn't happened yet but I should have enough stuff to keep us going for a few weeks when that happens.

Quite a bit different from Arkansas.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

Were they totally mature when harvested? Immature ones don't store that well, I've run into that before. Did you let them freeze? That's supposed to be a no-no. How are you storing them, temperature and humidity?

When I grew butternut, acorn, and delicata in Arkansas I'd cure them on a mesh trailer bed in an outbuilding until danger of freezing. Then I'd move them into my attached garage. That garage was too warm but was the best I could do. They stored pretty well.

They do have a shelf life but my problems were either they were immature to start with and then that storage in too warm of a garage.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

the winter squash we had this season were so poorly grown and not far enough along to get a very good skin or cure on them and the cold weather also came along so quickly. because we didn't have many to begin with most of them were cooked up and eaten over a month ago.

if you are having a lot of them spoiling i would start processing them all and freeze whatever you can cook up. that is what i do when we have a lot of winter squash and a lot of them are dinged up or showing signs of mold on the surface. i'd rather not have them rot and go to waste so early in the season i'll take the worst and process/cook them and freeze.

it is a good late fall/early winter project.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since you asked. Spinach, lettuce, turnips and turnip greens, chard, mustard greens, collard greens, broccoli, and kale. I finally finished off the radishes. Beets are starting to head up, carrots still have a ways to go. There is a head of cabbage ready. I tied the leaves on the cauliflower a few days ago to blanch it, it has started to head up. My wife has plans for that at Christmas if the timing works out.

Today will be in the 60's, the two following days in the 70's. It might frost a couple of mornings next week. This stuff is still growing. Eventually it should cool off enough that it stops growing. It will probably remain alive and usable but stop replacing itself. That hasn't happened yet but I should have enough stuff to keep us going for a few weeks when that happens.

Quite a bit different from Arkansas.
60’s? How can you stand that cold? ;-)

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We opened a jar of apple butter from last fall today, and I have one of those tiny half cup jars of dandelion jelly left. I'm saving it for Christmas. I found three quarts and three pints of concord grape juice from last summer I need to do something with this winter too. We also used half a quart of salsa in enchilada casserole yesterday :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandkids had a great weekend chowing down on my Black Rapsberries.
Loved my loose leaf lettuces and giant spring onions in their salads, but didnt like the peas, probably cos I had grown them specifically for seed for next year and they were on the mature side.

yeah, peas hard and bitter isn't a favorite of mine either, but sometimes a few will sneak in if i'm not careful. :) when young and tender they're so good though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd imagine that about 20% of the peas I eat each year are while I'm right in the garden.

Snap, shell or snow - if there is any question in my mind about their quality, they go right in my mouth 😋.

If'n they don't reach my standards of quality fresh - chomp chomp prlfpppt !

Steve

Latest posts