What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
tonight Mom made some macaroni and tomatoes. simple fare but very yum! i love it the best right when it is just hot and still juicy before the macaroni has soaked up all the juice. put some butter on top and that is it. :)

i'm pretty sure over the course of my life i've had a ton or more of this. Mom too. when we have tomatoes on hand like this we'll cook it a few times a month and as usual Mom makes enough to give some to people who are happy to have food delivered.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been sorting through the spuds as the remaining russets are beginning to develop sprouts. The basement conditions are usually able to hold them to the end of January and that will be about right for our limited production in 2020. Sprouted use is worrisome since toxins begin to develop.

The last of the squash showing any mold on basement shelves was used over the weekend. I had to make another trip downstairs for one more since half of the one with decay had to be tossed.

It would be good to be able to say whether it's the kabocha or buttercup that is most vulnerable. Really, I think it is the old wood shelves that are the source of the problem. Maybe paint, shelf-liner or aluminum foil would help. Usually, I have no reason to use those shelves.

The Cha Cha was the only kabocha of several varieties that I tried that would mature properly in the garden (nearly every year). It would be a shame to give it up.

On the other hand, I've looked with suspicion at Burgess Buttercup for decades ;). There's more than days-to-maturity to the equation. It can have problems but seems to tough its way through the changeable conditions better than most.

And onions ..! Such a bumper 2020 crop! Not only that, but that basement room is remarkably kind to onions :). I haven't even started to use the Candy, our best keeper. Sure, there have been some of the Walla Walla and Utah that have sprouted and been tossed but I can't reach the bottom of their baskets yet! 2020

Life is like an onion. You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep. ~ Carl Sandburg

& Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Burgess Butter Cup were attempted here last year and we had a few make it to maturity, but they didn't grow nearly as well as the other buttercups we've grown in the past. i'll keep replanting old seeds to see if i can revive the line. i still have plenty but i don't know how long they remain viable.

i am still eating squash here that i cooked up last week. it is so good to have in the winter.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My friend grew some serrano and jalapeno peppers, dried them in the sun last summer and then made hot red pepper. I was lucky enough to get a shaker of it! Wow, quite hot! 👍 I put some on my hash browns and eggs this morning and it was so tasty! A little taste of last year's season!

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Zuchinni, cucumber, arugula/rocket, lettuce, my homemade lemon pickle- a la Madhur Jaffery...oh man, what a pick me up. So glad I have 6 liters of it!
Oh, I found some seriously old marmalade in the bottom of my cupboard. I havent had a grapefruit tree in over 10 years!
This marmalade is to die for, I have it over my bowl of breakfast yogurt....moving on....
Lettuce, spring onions, Tangeloes!! just dont try to make marmalade from them it doesnt work cos they are so ...I dont even know how to describe it, just dont.
Cilantro!!, sage and Rosemary finely chopped and massaged over my roast potatoes..mmmmm
I was expecting to add Black raspberries, but the dratted black bird got there first and forget about the strawberries, I need to fence them in.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just learned that the red pepper I talked about earlier also included Anaheim and cayenne peppers! It was so good!

Latest posts