What are You Eating from the Garden?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Really? Is that something common with those of you more knowledgeable, gardening human beans?

I'm all for simplifying and that is something I appreciate about lentils.

Steve
We pressure cook our pinto beans after soaking them for 4 hours. The pressure cooker will cook pre-soaked pinto beans in 15 minutes!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
my favorite use of lentils was that they cooked up in about the same time as brown rice so i would just cook them together. i don't know why but Mom does not like lentils. i've eaten so many of them i can skip them for a while, but as a close substitute i found out that adzuki beans were close enough in texture and flavor for me so i have some of those once in a while instead. i'm not sure Mom has ever tried those. might be too weird for her. :) she's so funny. :) next run to the healthfood place i'm putting them on the shopping list. that sounds good. :)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my favorite use of lentils was that they cooked up in about the same time as brown rice so i would just cook them together. i don't know why but Mom does not like lentils. i've eaten so many of them i can skip them for a while, but as a close substitute i found out that adzuki beans were close enough in texture and flavor for me so i have some of those once in a while instead. i'm not sure Mom has ever tried those. might be too weird for her. :) she's so funny. :) next run to the healthfood place i'm putting them on the shopping list. that sounds good. :)
Maybe your mom would like lentil tacos? They are really good, healthy, and good for the pocket book! 😉

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a difference a year makes. When I grew carrots last winter they were all stubs less than an inch long and not all that big around. This year it's a little different.

They were grown in different raised beds but the fill was the same. Same materials (sand, clay, and compost) in the same proportions, same pH, same variety (Danvers), same time of the year, real close to the same nutrients. I don't have a clue why these met the 7" to 8" length they were supposed to have while last years' were such a failure.

These will be in a chicken stew tonight for supper. They look wet because they are, I just rinsed them off.

Carrots.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a difference a year makes. When I grew carrots last winter they were all stubs less than an inch long and not all that big around. This year it's a little different.

They were grown in different raised beds but the fill was the same. Same materials (sand, clay, and compost) in the same proportions, same pH, same variety (Danvers), same time of the year, real close to the same nutrients. I don't have a clue why these met the 7" to 8" length they were supposed to have while last years' were such a failure.

These will be in a chicken stew tonight for supper. They look wet because they are, I just rinsed them off.

View attachment 38586

look great, hope they tasted great too! :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A fresh carrot from the garden is really sweet if it is ready. I've braised some of these to have with supper before. Many recipes call for a bit of sugar or some type of sweetener. These need no sweetener at all. I tried thyme and nutmeg for flavor one time. Last time I just used sage and a little salt. :drool

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We pressure cook our pinto beans after soaking them for 4 hours. The pressure cooker will cook pre-soaked pinto beans in 15 minutes!
I didn't get my beans processed from last weekend, so they are sitting in the fridge until Saturday, 4 quarts worth. We seasoned and ate a pint with hamburgers last weekend.