catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
8: 11veggies.jpg
A nice fresh haul for dinner.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just picked our first zucchini yesterday, from seed sown on July 4th. :ya No doubt our exceptionally warm, sunny summer contributed to the short DTM... but wow, do those plants grow fast!!! We put in cucumbers about 2 weeks later, in place of the garlic harvested from that area; if the growth so far is any indication, we should get at least a few cukes before frost.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW used @w_r_ranch roasted tomato spaghetti suace recipe and made zucchini zooddles for the noodles. The only things not from the garden are some of the spices and the beef . The beef is grass fed beef from my brothers ranch. It is very great tasting meal and mostly from the garden.
PS. She used the NYers in the sauce.
934E6685-0F8D-434A-992E-4B5F36CD4687.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you are growing turkey craw beans this season. If you are, have you had any action going on with them? Ours are growing great but so far no blooms.

i don't have those variety. i hope they get some blooms/beans on them soon! i have some that are later than others too...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we didn't eat much from the garden today as it was errand/running around day. a large part of the errands was taking boxes of food to various people - including bucket #12 of the cucumbers which finally got pulled out yesterday. bucket #13 i put back into the garden as worm food - they were getting to be rather huge and nobody wants those unless you're saving seeds... [edit, btw by bucket #12&#13 i mean that is how many 5 gallon buckets of cucumbers we've harvested _since_ i asked Mom if we were done yet... :) this doesn't include the 99 quarts of dill pickles or the many buckets we gave to others... ]

we also took out the pepper plants. so in the boxes were also red and green peppers. i'm glad we did this. many of the peppers were rotting on the plants (hail damage dinged many of them and from those spots ...). last week i picked a dozen red peppers and while they were ok i wasn't as happy with them as what i've already got done in the freezer (roasted and then packed into pint jars). i can eat a half dozen peppers a day, but these i ate about one and a half and left the rest of the chunks in the fridge until yesterday when i finished them off. just weren't good to me. perhaps i got spoiled... this simplification will make the next few weeks easier (along with finally taking out the cucumber plants). anyways, the other part of the pepper plant patch this season was that Mom wanted to grow green peppers so she could make stuffed green peppers, but then when the peppers were ready she gave them away and this time when the second round of fruits were ready she didn't want to make them again. good chance next year we won't grow green peppers at all and if the greenhouse doesn't carry the red peppers i like i won't put too many pepper plants in either. perhap try to grow a few other types just for fun and call that good enough. we'll see - each year can be an adventure. :)

and the first picking of the Roma tomatoes.

about 100-120lbs of food given away. :)

last night i ate a small bit of tomato from a Beefsteak i was cutting up to put in the jars for being put up. almost 10 quarts. just getting started.

yesterday was busy, i did help pick and did some weeding in the pepper patch and the cucumber patch, but Mom said she'd rinse off and sort things out to where they were going so i could go weed another garden. i'm glad she did because then i had enough energy later and i could put the tomatoes up the same day they were picked.

it was supposed to rain today and tonight but i'm guessing we're not going to get much or enough from that (please surprise me Momma Nature :) ) so that will be a task for tomorrow. i need to pick some more fresh beans for steaming/eating sometime soon and the onions are due to come in for curing/drying.

Latest posts