What are You Eating from the Garden?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone gave me seeds for Hungarian Kapia peppers, about six seeds so I do not have many plants. The greenhouse plants are ripe and these peppers are beauties. The seeds will be saved and next year I plan on planting a lot more of this variety.

"The Red Kapia is a small, tapered pepper with a brilliant lipstick-red color.

In the same family as the bell pepper, this mild 4-5 inch pepper has a distinctive sweetness. This pepper is a native of Eastern Europe and, in fact, the main flavor ingredient in Hungarian Paprika. It’s a great addition to a salad, roasted or simply tossed in a quality olive oil with pasta."

Kapia.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone gave me seeds for Hungarian Kapia peppers, about six seeds so I do not have many plants. The greenhouse plants are ripe and these peppers are beauties. The seeds will be saved and next year I plan on planting a lot more of this variety.

"The Red Kapia is a small, tapered pepper with a brilliant lipstick-red color.

In the same family as the bell pepper, this mild 4-5 inch pepper has a distinctive sweetness. This pepper is a native of Eastern Europe and, in fact, the main flavor ingredient in Hungarian Paprika. It’s a great addition to a salad, roasted or simply tossed in a quality olive oil with pasta."

View attachment 27762

purty! :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've always liked those long tapered sweet peppers as compared to the bell shaped ones. Not sure why, just personal preference.
Me three. Bells are just too temperamental here; poor set, and the majority of the peppers that form are destroyed by bugs, snails, or rot. After many years of disappointment, I gave up on bells. Paprika & pimento peppers are not as finicky, I get reliable yields from them every year. My favorites are Greygo (a very large "tomato" pepper), Elephant Ear, and several of the "white" Hungarian peppers (such as Taltos and Bacskia). Growing Greygo, Elephant Ear, and Bacskia this year, have been picking Elephant Ear for green use.

The pole snap beans (Emerite) have been bearing heavily, picking over a 5-gallon pail every other day. 50+ pints already frozen, will be giving most of the rest away to family & friends. But the main reason I chose Emerite this year is because of its straight, very firm pods - well suited to canning. I've never made dilly beans before, but will be experimenting with several batches tomorrow. Any tips for success are welcome.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
dilly beans before, but will be experimenting with several batches tomorrow. Any tips for success are welcome.
No tips! But, here's the request in a post again.

Getting lots of stretching exercise picking bush beans but the pole beans are just beginning to flower.

Lots of exercise harvesting tomatoes, now. Not all that many but they are the ones right down at the bases of the plants. Quail are constantly in the tomato patch and I'm losing some to damage - I'm blaming the quail!

Wind wasn't pleasant out there yesterday during a few hours. Probably the quail ...

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The pole snap beans (Emerite) have been bearing heavily, picking over a 5-gallon pail every other day. 50+ pints already frozen, will be giving most of the rest away to family & friends. But the main reason I chose Emerite this year is because of its straight, very firm pods - well suited to canning. I've never made dilly beans before, but will be experimenting with several batches tomorrow. Any tips for success are welcome.

i just follow the standard dill pickle recipe for the brine and cold pack the jars (putting the dill in first at the bottom is easier) and then pour the boiling brine over them. then process to seal. i like beans very crunchy fresh from the garden so i like them very crunchy this way too.

if you like a bit of heat include some hot pepper sauce or pieces of hot peppers. i also like some onion and garlic.

i don't otherwise use pickling spices. i much prefer to taste the beans, dill and the vinegar and the few things i do put in.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are eating sweet peppers, every day until they run out. We love them.

P.S. The thin poly netting kept the deer away from the pepper plants, not so much as a single leaf was touched. :)

peppers.jpg

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
teg tomatoes.jpg
Finally enough to make sauce for the winter. Only a few of the beefsteak types are ready. Mostly 4th of July and New Yorker along with many sweet cherries. A strange late tomato year. It has been incredibly hot non stop the last 6 weeks or so. Thats not our usual summer. And June had many very cool nights.

Latest posts