What are You Eating from the Garden?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sharing out my Feijoas and apples. There is just way too much for me to munch through.
The last lot of pickled ginger has been a huge hit. This time no soy or fish sauce, just rice vinegar, sugar and salt..and they went pink, beautiful and crunchy. I did say that I wouldnt be sharing these, but couldnt resist taking some up to my daughter. Her husband loved them so much that I swopped a bucket of their Kim Chi for my little tub of pickled ginger buds.

The last of the capsicums finally arrived in the kitchen, along with some little purple potatoes. I can never remember their proper name but they remind me of cat turds- short, narrow and hard to find til you hand hits them.
The texture and flavor-delicious and not at all cat related in any way.
Hi Trish,

I got a Feijoa a couple of months ago. It is in a huge pot but growing very slowly. How old is yours and how fast does it grow?

Mary

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The ones I bought are 'named varieties' Pounamu grows 3m/h x4m/w and WikiTu @ 2m/h x3m/w. I'm not to sure how old mine are, maybe 5 years.

I meant to plant them both in the same spot and treat them as one tree but forgot....they are pollinators for each other. Now, I am thinking of chopping the WikiTu off at the ankles in the middle of winter. It should resprout next year and give me some idea as to how the other does without it.
Just to be on the safe side, I think it would be a wise idea for me to take some cuttings just in case I need to replace it.

Feijoa fizz.
8-10 skins(the 'fruit has been eaten so they are empty)
1 Quart of water
2Tbsp sugar, plus another 2 Tbsp sugar.

Put the skins in a tall pot and add the water with the first lot of sugar dissolved in it. Put a weight on and cover. Leave on the kitchen bench for 2-3 days.

Strain the liquid out, add the second lot of sugar. Dissolve it and bottle in an air tight bottle or jar.
Leave on the bench for a couple of days then pop into the fridge

The frst time I made this it worked perfectly with a lovely Feijoa sparkling juice/ non alcholic. This time, I'm having trouble getting that fizz, so its sitting our of the fridge right now warming up and hopefully with get that sparkle.
Still tastes amazing though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rhubarb Pie!

DW bought some California strawberries but then made 3 pies. There were only enough strawberries for 2. That's perfectly okay. Nothing wrong with going either way.

Rhubarb is multi-talented. Versatile, I suppose that is a better word choice but, somehow, we gotta express the uniqueness of this "vegetable." Pull a stalk in the garden and take a bite. "Whoa. I'm gonna make a dessert outta that?!" Yes, you are!

Dump a boxed cake mix on it. Biscuit dough. Stir up your own mix. Want to add some whole wheat? Sure. Flavor complements - cinnamon, vanilla, almond, pecans, hazelnut ... instant coffee!

Steve :)