What are You Eating from the Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Cherry tomatoes haved started to come in, soon the beefsteak will be red, too. I put my sweet/jalepano peppers in so late this year, I won't get fruit until September. I need to get my camera out. I have been puddling them every day. Two of them looked dead for several weeks and Finally grew new top leaves. I have spread straw around them and caged them in tomato cages, which never really work for tomatoes. I have 17 sweet peppers and 4 hot ones.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
02F1934D-523F-45AC-9BAB-F7931D0B7573.jpeg
The makings of chili verde.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary!

Petit Gris de Rennes,

You found a melon that will ripen for you?! And, you like it!?

Wow. Right now there are so many melon varieties available but it takes exploration! New gardeners might laugh if they knew the difficulties I had coming up with 1 or 2 varieties that I could grow. Some heirloom/speciality varieties available now were around - not many even ten years ago!

I'm a confirmed melon lover, having grown up in a better melon climate. However, I decided that if I had to grow Minnesota Midget, I'd rather have none in my garden. Then, the small Charentais melon was discontinued, just a few years after I discovered it.

One thing that is encouraging in my modest explorations, I bet that I was one of a very few Americans to first taste a Galia melon! The last couple of years - Galia melons are in our supermarkets! (DW bought one yesterday since ours are quite a ways from ripeness.)

A month ago, I would have given even odds as to whether I'd have a garden ripened melon in 2019. I'm still not sure how they will turn out in this rollercoaster weather that they have experienced this year. Heck's Fire! They are being treated to a thunderstorm right now ... No need to run the sprinklers on a scheduled day, tomorrow. I wonder how often that has happened during the first half of August - rarely, I'm sure.

Well. Good for You, Mary :frow!

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' I think I might have grown the Galia that you sent me if I had planted it in the ground instead of a big pot. The plant did well with lots of flowers and then pea size melons but then it froze! Never grew again!

Petit Gris de Rennes I got from Baker Creek. It is early and well adapted to cool climates. It's supposed to be the favorite of melon expert Runo Defay. Package says it's rare in the US.

Other than the a little over ripen taste due to me not knowing when to pick it, it is very sweet with a perfumed flesh. Definitely growing again next year. Plant didn't sprawl too much.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 3 year old playmates are coming over to our home tomorrow . My wife and I now have 24 1/2 lbs. of blueberries cooling in the refrigerator ( another picking in a week ) picked from our very own 5 bushes in our back yard. They will help grandma to make jelly jammy . Playmate "B" broke her right arm at the elbow a week ago,( fell off a chair . :hit .. now she shows off her PINK cast :love ) however she says that she can taste test and lick the spoon reel good as quality control to make sure that it will be real good to eat. And she can supervise her twin as well as her big sister to make sure that they don't dilly dally along , but put in a whole day or two of production of good eats until next year's harvest. :cool:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the 2nd year for my Doyle's thornless blackberries. I just picked 4.8 lbs. in my first picking of ripe berries. It looked too good to be true when I saw the ad for it. I have just 2 plants that are now huge. I have a ton more berries coming. Best blackberries I have ever grown.
tegblackerries_6724.jpg

Latest posts