What are You Eating from the Garden?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Roasted some tomato last night to go along with dinner. I thought about adding some sugar but left it with garlic, salt and pepper in a little oil. They had that sundried sour note, even though they were celebrity. Next try I will use something to balance the twang.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Need to harvest grapes. They, like tomatoes are very late this year. I remember needing to harvest grapes in the first week in August, in the past. Some are not fully rip, yet. Still, gotta get 'em in and boil down and I will probably can in the 1/2 gallon jars.
Where on this site is pictures of grapes hanging from the roof of a outdoor gazebo or pagoda style shaded area? I have muscadine and scuppernong that are under a now grown tree and need to be moved out into the sun. Thought to make a sitting area from which to observe our garden.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@catjac, I, TOO, love freezing, but anything that I can can doesn't need electricity to not spoil. I have asked the FAM to all pitch in for Christmas. I lost my lovely, 3yo upright freezer to a power surge about 5 years ago. I would like to replace it with a large chest freezer. I inherited one from DH's grandfather. He moved in the 1980's and nobody else wanted his 1972 freezer. It died, in my garage, in 2005. They last forever. I want to buy a lamb this Fall and I need the room. I couldn't replace it, the crappy insurance company was gonna raise my rates, and the crappy power company wouldn't reimburse me the loss. I could only afford a 7cubic ft model. Works great, but not nearly the same amount of freezer space.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@catjac, I, TOO, love freezing, but anything that I can can doesn't need electricity to not spoil. I have asked the FAM to all pitch in for Christmas. I lost my lovely, 3yo upright freezer to a power surge about 5 years ago. I would like to replace it with a large chest freezer. I inherited one from DH's grandfather. He moved in the 1980's and nobody else wanted his 1972 freezer. It died, in my garage, in 2005. They last forever. I want to buy a lamb this Fall and I need the room. I couldn't replace it, the crappy insurance company was gonna raise my rates, and the crappy power company wouldn't reimburse me the loss. I could only afford a 7cubic ft model. Works great, but not nearly the same amount of freezer space.
Yes but by my calculations the cost per cubic foot is best on the 7 cubic foot models and they are not as cumbersome. I think our prices are about 200 USD for a 7. I could see using 2 more myself.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Maybe so BUT those big chest freezers last F O R E V E R!!!! People don't like fishing through to find your stuff, but I used to subdivide mine. The one I had was an early 1970's model that lasted 40 years. My 7 cu ft model feels like a big ice chest.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
No idea how big the upright in the garage is. We bought it used maybe 15 years ago! it holds ALOT and easier to find stuff than standing on my head digging to the bottom of a chest freezer. Of course we always had a lot go to waste that got buried and unused for too long. So we do better with an upright.

Crazy Gardner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I bought an upright fridgidaire freezer 4 or 5 years ago, and it has been outstanding. We had a cheapo woods before that with the coolant lines running through the racks which were not adjustable, and it was terrible. We shop in the US every 6 weeks and freeze our milk in 24 gallon lots, they are frozen in under 24 hours. Adjustable racks, no maintenance or defrosting.

Latest posts