1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What are You Eating from the Garden?

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by digitS', May 17, 2018.

1. Aug 20, 2019
    Prairie Rose

Prairie Rose Attractive To Bees

I am now slicing a ripe tomato every night for the dinner table, along with throwing peppers in everything. Our favorite variety of tomato this year is the Dark Galaxy i bought on a whim because they were pretty. My mother prefers them even to the Brandywines she loves so much; says the dark galaxies taste like the tomatoes they had when she was a kid. So far they have had the most manageable growth for staking, and I love the colors.

Going to retrieve extra produce from my uncle's garden tonight; he wants to clean it out for winter this week because he is going out of state for a while in September. Will hopefully be canning tomato sauce and green beans the next few evenings.

2. Aug 21, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    Corn, one meal, 08-20-19.jpg More corn, harvested/froze a quart of okra, just starting to come in, and I have frozen 2 quarts of green/purple beans. I intend to only plant purple beans next year bc you can spot them more easily. I have been using the "stick to your shirt" test for the beans, and the old ones go to the chickens. They have to eat, too.
    MORE cucumbers. It was really dry last week and most of them turned big and YELLOW, so horse/chicken feed.
    When you grow your own corn, you can pick the sizes you want for your meal, including a smaller one, as has been ordered.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  3. Aug 26, 2019
    SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Garden Addicted

Picked 5# of blackberries today. Gave some to the neighbor.... will freeze the rest and use them in smoothies. Used the last of the previous pick in a blackberry fruit bar this morning I made for some visitors we had stop by. Mmmmm. :)

Made a half gallon jar of refrigerator pickles. More mmmmmmm! :)

4. Aug 27, 2019
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Ornamental Amaranth.

Yep. I did some checking. It's both edible and ornamental. I was given the seed but you can find it here: Adaptive Seeds

What I have tried in recent years in quests for summer greens has been tiny plants. Well, these grow to be huge things and the leaves can still be harvested, if you like the strong flavor. Tried again ... harvested the tiny plants and they are tender and mild :).

Probably, the Oeschberg variety - Adaptive also sells those (scroll down). Those don't quite look like the mature plants we first had. Anyway, I'm back to tiny plants - just didn't want them to grow to their full size ;).

They very much remind me of baby beets. Well, I like that :).

Steve

5. Aug 27, 2019
    Carol Dee

Carol Dee Garden Master

Kale, cucumbers. LOTS of green beans, tomatoes, onions, zucchini

flowerbug and SweetMissDaisy like this.
  6. Aug 27, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

I LOVE those BALL 1/2 gallon jars!! Discovered them 2 years ago. When I hot water bath with them, I leave the lid off and monitor to make sure that they are covered with boiling water. I also add about a 1/2 of the time on to be SURE that the seal is complete. Still have 2018 grape juice in one of those.

7. Aug 27, 2019
    Cosmo spring garden

Cosmo spring garden Garden Ornament

Lots of peppers and some herbs. Garden is getting fluffed up for fall planting.

flowerbug and ducks4you like this.
  8. Aug 28, 2019
    SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Garden Addicted

i use them in my pantry to store all kinds of dry goods, too. They're my fav's!

flowerbug likes this.
  9. Aug 28, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

we buy the gallon sized saurkraut jars which are glass and i love those for storing any bulk beans i can grow. :) i don't use them for canning anything but they are nice sturdy glass jars.

10. Aug 28, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

FINALLY, eating tomatoes!! Apparently I had a Rutgers that grew and survived. You see, I didn't label Any of the tomatoes I grew this year, so each plant is a surprise. The cherries haven't tasted all that good, but the chickens have to eat, too.

Cosmo spring garden likes this.