What are You Eating from the Garden?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
perhaps they just are not in your area as i don't think that is a high corn producing region of the country? :)

Commercial corn growing, no. The grain down here is rice. But many people, including my next door neighbor and the lady across the street, grow corn in their gardens. You see it all the time in farmers markets.

The corn ear worm goes by different names and attacks different crops. I call it a "budworm" because that's what my father called it. That's probably not a formal name but my brother knows what I'm talking about. I have seen some around bu so far they haven't found my corn, for which I am very grateful.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you find a solution? I'm having that this year. I've tried pyrethrin and it's not working. I think BT might be my next effort.

I simmered a pouch of chewing tobacco, added hot sauce, garlic and dawn dishwashing liquid. It left a brown film on the tomatoes that washed off. The worms didn’t like it.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have to ask. I doubt I'll try that, don't have the tobacco. I like to eat them fresh from the garden anyway, hardly ever rinse or wipe them off. I'll try BT.

I know that tobacco is used as an insecticide. When we were growing it as our cash crop those same budworms would eat the bud in the tobacco plant. I can remember walking the rows in the tobacco patch in the heat of summer picking off hornworms and budworms. You're covered with the tar from brushing through those plants, they block any breezes whatsoever, but it seldom got much hotter than the mid 90's. Oh the joys of growing up on the farm.

When I got stung on the back or the neck by a wasp when we were putting tobacco in the barn to dry, one of the guys I was working with chewed up a dried tobacco leaf and slopped that on the sting. Took the pain right out.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My G’pa was always chewing plug tobacco. Any sting, cut, etc, out came the tobacco. I never told him because I didn’t like the tobacco. Never knew it was suppose to take away the pain.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just harvested my first ever Parsnips!!!
I thought they were dying from powdery mildew so decided to dig them up.
P1000385.JPG

Me and mum had what I used to call a cheesy pot luck- Lots of vegies, like potato, kumara(sweet potato), butternut/pumpkin, carrots, broccolli, Parsnips!!!! in a really cheesey sauce, so thick, you werent really sure what you were eating til you bit.
Unlike the store bought ones, the skins in these were so soft.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greens.

Lately, it's been flowering bok choy. There are more small bok choy on the way, so there is no end of that crop yet in sight.

However today :), the first of my Portuguese kale will be on the table! After not having Portuguese kale in 2019, it's nice to have it back.

I used to find it a little ironic to call baby beets a "green" but, what else are you gonna call them? These were the tiniest things (thinnings) worth bringing in to the kitchen. They didn't create much of a purple stain on the plate ;). Incredibly tender ...

I felt compelled to pull some stalks of rhubarb so as to move a sprinkler in amongst them. Cooked them into a little more than a half gallon of sauce. Planning on having a little of that on some cornbread as soon as I bring it out of the oven :).

Steve

Latest posts