What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn , that's an interesting autocorrect. There are numerous spellings of the name of that turnip cousin that turn up even when I search seed company websites. I hope they settle on one or another. It probably won't be the one I'd choose. After all, one Asian green with a name that I liked may now be officially kailaan. Here I thought guy lon was the best name because I used to know a good guy named Lon.

... Digress. The smaller, "Shanghai" bok choy that we like is at a mature size in about 45 days. Mei Qing is a hybrid so I have never saved seed. There are other Shanghai varieties that aren't hybrids, however.

They are a cool weather crop and don't like too much heat or they bolt. They are so quick to mature that I have them much of the growing season from transplants moved into the hoophouse earliest to seed sown outdoors in August for the latest. The bolting plant can be eaten but I draw the line when the flowers begin to open and the bok choy becomes bitter.

I eat a ton of them every year and appreciate the opportunity :).

Steve

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm eating Cauliflower- Green Macerata and Sicilian Violet. The Violet one does not look nice cooked, more a nasty khaki coloured. The green one is my fav.
A baby leek- I just had to add my fattest leek to the soup pot even though it wasnt really all that big.
Same with the Red Cardinal Chard. A leaf here and there off all the plants. Most of the leaves are still only around 6 inches at the tallest, but I figured one leaf off each wouldnt hurt.

The Fuyu Persimmons had to be collected so I would get to have some. I had to harvest cos the birds were eating them and now have a clothes basket full that I check for rip ones every couple of days, much to the delight of my dog, who just adores these and tries to yank them off the tree when he thinks I'm not looking.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The cat did a poor job keeping the sparrows out of the lettuce. He is now trying to make up for his incompetence by watching the baby beets.

IMG_20200608_092039~2.jpg
Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
strawberries are starting to come in. i wish i had enough to have a huge party for everyone on TEG to come and have shortcakes! oh, and a teleporter booth... :) and a virus zapper at the same time (imagine with a teleporter booth you could filter out viruses and other diseases too while you were at it)... hmmm... :) :) :)

Latest posts