What are You Eating from the Garden?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Heres the crookneck’s. I’ve never grown one this large up here; most are 2/3 that size in the fall! Realizing they’re penchant for heat we grew them in the greenhouse this year.
It’s still awful early so i’m curious where they will end up. Right now im training them up into the rafters and hope i dont have a train wreck with the cukes; all ready occupying “the attic”🤓

Attachments

• 6CC51BBB-501D-47F0-84EF-B60C0F741A30.jpeg
    6CC51BBB-501D-47F0-84EF-B60C0F741A30.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 127

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lambs Quarters and Amaranthus retroflexus (which sounds a little better than redroot pigweed ... sorta ;)

Okay, so we didn't plant them out there! But, they did come from the garden and grew between the time the tractor guy went over the ground and I got to that corner with the tiller this week.

There may be other weeds coming to the table thru the growing season but, especially Lambs Quarters is a favorite and has to be enjoyed early :).

Oh, and rhubarb bread. Yay!

Steve
Last week we ate some delicious "weeds" too! 😊Another great dandelion salad including a couple flowers, Siberian Miners Lettuce on a smoked salmon burger, and I also mixed in a few leaves of sheep sorrel in a store bought salad! Yum!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The komatsuna and senposai are still growing along with 2nd/3rd sowings of bok choy. The common veggie these days are bok choy buds as we try not to miss them and allow flowering, at which point they go in the compost. Choy sum and broccoli raab are "History, Spring 2021" :). We better not be buying broccoli from the store before it comes on in the garden 🤨 !!!

:) Are you or someone in your house like this? DW makes good winter use of veggies from storage - making soup, and such. We had a lot of frozen green beans. I'm just wondering if I ate most of them ... A very good 2020 tomato year. I've finally figured out that I can push making pasta sauce toooo far. DW eats some, I'm left with eating the majority. She likes Fresh ... everything Fresh.

At the store yesterday, DW came back with her usual bananas but then, nectarines, blueberries, and 3 varieties of melons! Store-bought ...

I know her well enough to know that she won't be tired of Fresh produce by the time we have ummm melons in our gardens. Admittedly, I used to become a little exhausted by broccoli, months and months outta the year. I've grown in my appreciation of that veggie! Maybe, the right word is that I have become tolerant of so many weeks and months with it on the plate ;). Fortunately, I started out happy enuf with green veggies even before DW came along.

Steve
IMG_20170507_093322.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
strawberries! so good to have fresh home-grown strawberries again.

i picked yesterday morning and put five pints in the freezer of sliced strawberries and have half a pint in the fridge to eat, plus all the fresh ones i want to pick. which right now is zero, gotta get out there to water and plant. chipmunks get to feast today unmolested. i'm using the strawberry patch as a decoy for those varmints while the edamame soybeans and some other beans sprout... hope it works. :)

also hope to be eating some green garlic soon, it's starting to get scapes on it at last so it's probably the best size it will be, i just have to dig it up. maybe Monday or Tuesday i can get that done. too bad it may not freeze or store very well. go down the road to the meat market and pick up a few lbs of sliced steak and have a big pot of stir fry with those in there and some ginger and other spices.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baby Beet Greens.

Finally, something other than "Asian" greens. Okay, there was "Scotch" and "Italian" kale, broccoli raab, hybrids of cabbage ... "European" weeds ;).

Beet thinnings can't be beat! We also brought a few chard thinnings home from the big veggie garden to see if transplanting chard works. Suppose to rain and be cooler tomorrow so transplanting can be this evening. No amaranth in the home garden so there's no other "summer" greens beyond the "spring" varieties.

Steve
having used his quota of quotation marks :)

Latest posts