What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the strawberries are fading out. made a big pot of beans the other day so we have those for adding to other things or making burritos (without the flour wrapper). the peas are getting some nice pods on them now, i'm having a hard time not eating them all. small onions are ready any time we need one. green garlic and scapes are also ready any time. i think i have a few weeks yet before lifting the garlic - i normally wait until the tops have gotten fairly large as then the bulbs are larger too.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fresh basil on pizza w/ Carmelized Onion & roasted Pepper
20210629_170225.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks wonderful @heirloomgal . We have harvested some basil.

DW made salsa sauce today. Cherry tomatoes and jalapenos were frozen from 2020. Cilantro and green onions were fresh. She toasts them in the toaster oven and then pulverizes it to make the sauce. Nice to have to add some interest to a bok choy stir-fry which we have been able to make, it seems like forever!

I had one cherry tomato from the backyard plants. DW brought it in to me a couple of days ago and it ripened alongside the bananas. (Where is @SprigOfTheLivingDead with his indoor banana reports ;)?)

Amaranth. That adds another summertime green along with the chard. The transplanting of chard from one garden to the other might still work. The plants are severely stressed from the heat. Those are just a trial - there is plenty of sown chard in the distant garden.

Steve

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

DW made salsa sauce today. Cherry tomatoes and jalapenos were frozen from 2020. Cilantro and green onions were fresh. She toasts them in the toaster oven and then pulverizes it to make the sauce. Nice to have to add some interest to a bok choy stir-fry which we have been able to make, it seems like forever!

I had one cherry tomato from the backyard plants. DW brought it in to me a couple of days ago and it ripened alongside the bananas. (Where is @SprigOfTheLivingDead with his indoor banana reports ;)?)

Amaranth. That adds another summertime green along with the chard. The transplanting of chard from one garden to the other might still work. The plants are severely stressed from the heat. Those are just a trial - there is plenty of sown chard in the distant garden.

Steve
I so love cilantro! 💚 One of my favourite herbs, especially with guacamole and salsas. Always so torn about growing it though because the plant lasts for less than 2 weeks fully grown. One Micro Tom has been eaten, was rated 7/10. I'm envious of your jalapeños, I didn't grow any this year for fear of heat contamination.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harvested some radishes that I PLANTED IN MARCH AND TOOK F O R E V E R to come up!!!
French Breakfast, btw.
Also, we eat 2-3 stuffed pepper meals/month, made with tomatoes that I have canned.
DH does the labeling, bc once I can I don't have the patience to write on the lids neatly with a Sharpie.
I had German Giant radishes planted same time as some French Breakfast and Giants grew and I ate them, but the others I ended up pulling. Maybe I did not wait long enough.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I so love cilantro! Always so torn about growing it though because the plant lasts for less than 2 weeks fully grown.
With Cilantro (and many other herbs) if I cut it almost to the ground before it blooms it will come back. Just leave enough of the stalk so it has a couple of buds to grow back. I haven't grown it down here but In Arkansas I could keep it going for a couple of months. Eventually the heat would get it.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Steve
I *deep sigh* decided to give up the Bananas and gifted them all to some locals :)

Grrrr and all the bunnies ate my scotch bonnet plants this summer so I have to grow this winter so I can get my scotchy fix :)

Latest posts