What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
picked more melons this morning and they're cut up and the rinds are fed to the worms already. they were edible and in decent condition but i think the lack of sunshine and a lot of rain did have some effect on them being a bit more watery than i'd hoped. there's only about three or four more melons out there to pick in the coming weeks. so that might be it for melon season. very good overall and i'm happy with what we got from them considering the weather but i don't know how to change the results if they're dependent upon rains as i can't think i'd want to bother covering them or something like that.

also have been eating onions and tomatoes. cut them up and microwave them for some time to get them softer and then i top with chopped up ham and cheese and nuke until that's warmed up. the juice from tomatoes and onions is a divine broth in and of itself but add cheese and ham and it's even better. no water added at all. just what comes from the vegetables/tomatoes and ham. i'm sure bacon would go well in this too...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pumpkin Pie!

Both the Buttercup and ChaCha Kabocha are well along in maturing, the vines are beginning to go down. Those squash will gain some flavor in storage but it hardly matters for pie!

Zucchini bread was yesterday morning. The house was filled with the smell of cinnamon and one or the other squash baking for 2 mornings.

Stew for the main course for lunch. Pie after. If it hadn't been harvested and cleaned up before going in the fridge, I could have used a picture of the celeriac for @Phaedra Geiermann 's ugly vegetable thread!

:) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The kitchen window ripening and dehydration station:

7DAB2CC0-C104-4E67-ACAD-37B46238CB38.jpeg
A boiled, dehydrated pepper:

A4EEDC3B-149C-4FDD-94D2-3AC09D13BC5B.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The planting of green beans that went into the bed after the peas were pulled in July - we're eating from those!

They are skinny things but tender as can be.

Risky to plant after 7/15 but they made it. Our weather is about normal right now. Nearly all of the West is supposed to drop below normal by 7 October. That will be "it" for the beans. They are having a later frost than usual as things stand. Green beans, the larger tomatoes (so late!) and important that there should be plenty of time to bring in the root crops. Not that there is all that much left now that the spuds are all home as of this afternoon. Oooo ... my aching back!

tired digitS'

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the last of the frozen squash from last year and some baked beans, that was yesterday, i think today i better cook up a few of the onions that aren't storing very well. onions and tomato soup it might be, we'll see... :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Risky to plant after 7/15 but they made it. Our weather is about normal right now. Nearly all of the West is supposed to drop below normal by 7 October.
I have done the same this year, and the beans grow surprisingly well. The weather forecast shows about two weeks later, the temperature at night will drop to near 0°C. However, we will have another ten warm and sunny days before that; I am more than ready to harvest them. :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Zebrune shallots:

DAC0CF4E-3925-4213-990A-B16B1F928FA7.jpeg
My first impression of this new-to-me variety was from the sauté pan -- strongly flavored. But, I realized that I have probably never eaten fried shallots without any additions.

With the potatoes, milk, sour cream of a simple potato soup - they were delicious! I had that same satisfied feeling after finishing that bowl of soup, I always have after enjoying a dish made with shallots :).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20211007-195243_kindlephoto-169619345.png

Beyond the psychiatric and philosophical ;) ... what do tree squirrels eat over the next 5 months or so if they don't have nuts and acorns or bird seed ... and aren't in hibernation?

Thought of putting this in the pest section. Even tho I don't want them in the yard, they aren't much of pests. And, I wonder if they should be packing their bags since the walnuts from across the road are no longer available.

Steve

Latest posts