What are You Eating from the Garden?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It looks like you are accomplishing IT, Cosmo!

I have had some success storing squash on the kitchen floor. It isn't an ideal location because that floor is cleaned fairly often and they have to be moved in & out (or, out and in ;)).

Storage doesn't work very well in either room in the basement. There must be quite a lot of science behind produce storage. The  curing prior to storage, also. Some of it may be the growing of squash that is well suited both for storage and, simply, the growing environment.

Steve
who thought he was doing well in July to have 2021 carrots and parsnips from, first, an outdoor clamp through the winter and then in the crisper drawers of the carport fridge
We love winter squash and grow over a 100 each year 😀. I use the ones that are starting to get wrinkly skin first (probably not cured well or maybe even immature when harvested). There are lots that do rot before I can get to them :(.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So many to choose from would help ;).

Probably what could have been the longest storable squash that I have grown was one called La Madera. The seed was from Native Seeds Search and they discontinued it about as soon as I grew it that season.

It was a C. maxima and so, it immediately crossed with a couple others of those in my garden. It was a  very early maturing variety and so, had a long time to toughen up :) for storage. the skin was like glass for some when I cut into them. Flesh, very tasty although thin.

Growing from saved seed didn't really work. Restoring the variety, I would have had to allocate lots of ground to the plants as well as bag the flowers. No experience there ...

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The last rooster - we are going to have a good stew today.

Whatever we and cats/dogs don't eat will be buried under a newly arrived fruit tree - nothing is wasted.
P_20220817_081210.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A39C5C72-D51F-4679-AE9B-0B8CF314609D.jpeg
New-to-Us Amadeo eggplant

This is the second week for them to be arriving in the kitchen, egg, flour, frying pan and table.

The plants are doing okay and survived the hailstorm. They are smaller than what the catalog says but that's not a surprise ;). Several in the eggplant patch are also new, green Choryoku. They were new in 2021 and are also a little smaller than described but survived the record heat that year.

The Amadeo have a good flavor, DW already has them cooked up for dinner. But right now, I'm having my customary tomato soup :). The tomatoes are just now running a little ahead of having fresh slices on sandwiches and such. Nice, satisfying, and quick soup!

;) Steve
Solanum Saturday

Latest posts