What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I know that watercress is an invasive here. It probably is elsewhere, as well.

I was disappointed to find it in two creeks where there had been a couple of the earliest homes for European Americans. I wanted it! But there were lots of houses above these places which are now parks.

Then, I had my own experience growing watercress in the garden. That was fun, and successful. Not upland cress... The neighbor had an irrigation valve that leaked. The water came down the pipe and leaked out of a connection close to the edge of the garden but running off in the wrong direction. In this soil, it made a very inconsequential puddle in the lawn. Neighbor didn't much care because it's a water district and contributed nothing to his bill which was determined by acreage.

I had designs for that constant drizzle. After asking permission, I set in one section of pvc pipe a couple of inches into the ground so that the water moved in the right direction. Dug out about a 3' x 6' section of the nearest bed. Bought some watercress at the grocery store and they took right off in my little garden pond!

The drizzle would stop when sprinkler pipes were turned on in the little hay field nearby. Pressure in the pipes would do that and I think that was for about 36 hours each week. Dried up pond for that short of time made no difference, in fact, it might have actually been a benefit for my nice watercress :). The neighbor replaced the valve the following year. Shucks.

Steve ;)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey Now. I like Wasabi!

I was thinking that if @Dahlia is on freshwater Lake Washington and not saltwater Puget Sound maybe she can lower a couple of basins into the water and grow Wasabi and Watercress!
I know where watercress grows around here! I just need to figure out the wasabi, lol!
I love wasabi on sushi! Especially on sushi with fresh bull kelp as wraps!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have too many Bears limes and Meyer lemons so I’ll be posting these on a fb group to give away.

The 4 sugar snap peas I’m eating.

Mary

Attachments

• 0EE9B618-D6C5-42FA-AF20-A86044042E12.jpeg
    0EE9B618-D6C5-42FA-AF20-A86044042E12.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 60

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have too many Bears limes and Meyer lemons so I’ll be posting these on a fb group to give away.

Mary
I think you mean Bearss limes. Two "s"
You have lemons and limes in your garden??
She's in San Francisco. That's plenty warm enough for citrus. Remember, before Hollywood existed, that whole area was orange groves.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have lemons and limes in your garden??
Yes, they along with my mandarins ripen at this time. Our winters are mild and we have a mediterrinian climate. I can garden year round. But in winter I keep it simple with just kale, lettuce, cauliflower and sugarnap peas. I'm usually tired of gardening after my spring garden and preparing the harvest such as canning salsa, freezing zucchini, basil, etc.

Mary

Latest posts