What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i tried one of the Hot and Sweet peppers yesterday and it did live up to the name but there was very little flavor otherwise. since there's about a hundred peppers on the two plants i'm going to let them go red and hope they will dry down to something more interesting perhaps that can be roasted or fried for flavor. we'll see how that goes.

oh, and perhaps my brother will take some him and my nephew are visiting today - it will be good to see them both...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose that those growing lots of beans for drying and chili realize the benefits of the sweet pepper/hot pepper combinations.

i love peppers of almost any kind but they have to have at least some flavor other than the heat. for the sweet peppers then it comes down to if they are green or red (i've not found any others that i like the flavor as much in comparison).

Mom won't eat the green peppers but she will use them for flavoring in some things and pick them out (and leave them for me to eat :) ). also she won't touch anything with heat :( so when i make chili later this week i can't even make chili with chili in it for her. i have to make a beef vegetable stew. at that point i'd just go a few extra steps and turn it into sloppy joes since she will eat that but for some reason she wants her version of wimpy chili so as she commands so is how it gets done... sorta... :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lunch:

IMG_0683.jpeg
Flowering Choy Sum, Amaranth, a left-over eggroll and, maybe something that you haven't tried ;).

Sweetcorn got ahead of us so some of it went to the freezer. Do Not like corn frozen on the cobs? Slice it off and before or after frozen, include some to cook with your rice. Adds a little Americano flair to Asian rice, eh? I don't know about the Amaranth but lunch makes me feel like I bounced about 6-7,000 miles to the East :).

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
for the sweet peppers then it comes down to if they are green or red (i've not found any others that i like the flavor as much in comparison). :)
Same here. The orange and yellow ones taste lacking in flavor to me.

Here are additions to tonight's salad, although two are more the result of foraging rather than gardening. Dandelion greens, a couple green bush beans, and onion tops from an onion patch that got its start from a couple discarded, half rotten grocery store onions, tossed out into a weed patch 5 years ago.

SaladIngredientsHomegrown9Aug2023editSmaller.jpg

Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A few goodies from the garden. I still can't get over how tiny these tomatoes are. The three small grape tomatoes didn't come from my garden, but I included them to show the scale. The tomato knives with multi-colored handles in the blue mason jar are courtesy of Phaedra's suggestion. They are wonderful!

SquashTomatoesGrnBeans.JPG

Dinner from the gardens!
DinnerFromTheGardens.JPG

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It was too hot to turn the oven on today, but we managed to make a very tasty tuna pizza on the barbecue. If you like tuna I would definitely recommend giving tuna pizza a try; it is very popular in Europe, but never seems to have gotten any traction in North America for some reason. We mixed some mayonnaise with a couple of cans of very well drained (and completely squeezed dry) tuna and spread that over a ready-made pizza shell. Then we sprinkled a layer of fresh salsa made with garden tomatoes, and finished with grated mozzarella and some pickled jalapenos (hot banana peppers are even better, if you have them). It only took seven minutes to grill it on the barbecue, and was it ever good. I wish I had taken a photo, but in no time we had eaten the whole thing! ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts